Timing belt

Asked by Jan 18, 2011 at 05:44 PM about the 2000 Acura RL 3.5L

I have a RL, the dealer says change the timing belt at 7 years or 105,000 miles. I
bought it used and its over 7 years old, but should I get it replaced now, or wait until
the 105,000 miles?

135

If you have a mechanic that you trust , at the very least it should be looked at given that the car is at least 10 years old. One concern would be the potential for dry rot and another would be the conditions under which it was driven. Depending on the number of miles on the vehicle, if it is close enough to the 105,000 miles, I would consider replacing the timing belt as it will need to be done any way. If the vehicle is in great condition and you plan on keeping it, it is worth the expense.

20

wait until 105,000 miles because u never know it still might be good

100

Re the previous post that said "wait until 105,000 miles because u never know it still might be good " Uh......NO! That is NOT the way to approach a timing belt change discussion when the subject is an INTERFERENCE ENGINE - which the RL's engine most certainly is. This means that if you "wait and see" what you are possibly going to "see" is a broken belt and bent valves - whiche equates to a MUCH COSTLIER repair bill. No, you don't want to "wait and see" - at least not in the case of a car that has an interference engine - such as your RL. As the old adige goes - better safe than sorry. Take this from someone who learned their lesson the hard way (is there any other way to learn?).... the belt broke on my Honda automobile in the middle of a cold November night on a major highway in the Northeast. Not fun. And yes, the valves got bent. At the very least, if you have a good, reliable mechanic that you trust - have him (or her) pull the cover off the belt and do a thorough visual inspection. If it looks solid and there is NO SIGN OF DRY ROT or WEAR - then yes, if you're going to gamble, this would be a smart gamble. But don't gamble on the unknown and, in this case, the unseen. Hope this helps. Good luck.

My Acura TL owner's manual recommends changing timing belt every 105K miles, or every 7 years - whichever comes first. Then it gives a caveat that those recommendations must also take into consideration the environment in which the car is driven - It talked about excessive heat - Like 100 degree weather could hasten the need for a new belt. Me? I just had my timing belt changed - $789.66 - A bargain over having to replace an engine.

Timing belt, water pump, pulleys - All get changed at the same time.