Should a Mercury Marquis be towed if not been run for 3 years?

Asked by May 06, 2015 at 06:53 PM about the 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

2007 Merc Grand Marquis, Less then 3,000 miles. Been sitting in garage in Florida since 2011.  I no the battery will be dead--there is a lifetime warranty.     My nieces may not follow directions re not running until fluids have been distributed.  What should I tell them?  The dealership has been somewhat unreliable.  Are there independent mechanics with the proper diagnostics, etc. that would come to the house to do battery and start up?  Would this be better than towing? Is there a way to obtain dealership ratings or find M. Marquis certified independent mechanics?  Thanks you so much!

66,595

I would tow it being it set this long,you will need to flush the fuel system to remove old gas,and check other fluid,s all so be fore you run it.

Thank you. Would anyone have an opinion on whether having the fluids circulated Before towing?

1,315

Have it towed on a carrier. Don't start it until the gas is replaced. Change the engine coolant also.No problem with towing. You will need a new battery, wiper blades, and probably new tires. They go bad with age after 5 years, there's a date on the tire. They can crack and fail. Just about any mechanic can do this stuff, don't let your nieces do it. With a battery it would start up and drive, but might damage fuel injection components and cause headaches later.This car is a gem, treat it well. Other fluids should be checked, as mentioned.

Best Answer
6,685

If you have it towed, make sure it is towed on a flatbed rollback truck, not the old conventional type tow truck. You don't want the tires rolling down the road or the differential moving and/or the driveshaft turning thus turning inside the transmission until everything else is checked and fluids checked and/or replaced. All or most of the rubber products on the car (ex: belts, hoses, seals, tires,etc.) will have to be inspected by an ASE qualified expert mechanic and replaced as necessary or you might end up with major problems or even have an accident from driving with faulty parts. Since Mercury is no longer in business and that car is no longer made, you should probably get that car up and running with new parts, tires and fluids and sell it to a collector or someone who will preserve it as it's a very low mileage original car and they are only original once. In my opinion as a Ford/Mercury Restorer having owned and operated a Ford / Mercury/ Lincoln full restoration shop, If kept with it's extremely low mileage and well taken good care of, (rarely driven from now on) that car could eventually become a museum collector's piece and should NOT be used as a daily driver. That car would bring top dollar on an EBay auction or in the collector car community. Kenny/MrBlueOval

THANK YOU Kenny. Great information! I'm very concerned after reading this as it temporarily out of my hands for now until two relatives are through using it--once they start her up. I was attempting to get them good info hoping they would follow it before start up so it doesn't get ruined. It only had 1500-1800 miles on it. Your still saying it would need all that done to not ruin it? They planned to drive it periodically until the estate work was complete in FL then I would get it. FYI-your answer appeared in my email 9 hours later. It's 2:00 am my time.

1,315

Pay for them to have a rental car or some other alternative., don't let them start it up without lots of service first. A year ago a scored a 2002 with less than 30K. It had been started up with new battery and tires, and it was OK, but only sitting a few years. I still had to do all the stuff mentioned, belts, hoses, coolant, filter, and so on before I trusted it on a long trip. Now, it's great, but I did quite a bit of work, and now it's like I have a new car.

Appreciate,Trippmeister. I sent them your first comment and hope they read it. This car has only 1500-1800 miles on it. It was my father's last car--drove it minimally 1 1/2 yr. Then only used every 3-5 months until 2011 by me--until now. The air there is slightly salty--near a waterway, but garage is blocked from the wind. I'm also concerned about the Merc dealer down there in Bradenton because it required 3 times for them to repair the A/C correctly -- in the first year. I read they they also try to tell novices the ECM has to be replaced to start it up again for close to $1,000--when it's not true. Very concerned after reading BlueOval's recommendations. Thanks again, Judy

1,315

They sound like crooks, alright. How far away do you live? Maybe tow it to an independent shop, have them drain the gas, put in battery, tires, check radiator hoses, fluids. Just about anyone can do that. Use google local and look at shops close to the car, there are plenty of good mechanics that don't work at dealers.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Tripp.