Why won`t my wipers won`t work after replacing switch and wiper motor?

Asked by Jul 20, 2013 at 02:59 PM about the 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

While driving last year my wipers came on by themselves in the delay mode (the wiper switch was off)..  Called a local mechanic and told him of my problem and he said could be a ground problem or switch to him. I had already checked fuses and wiring connector to wiper motor and still had same problem, I added a ground wire to wiper motor and then purchased a new wiper switch and same result (wipers ran with switch turned off).. The car was sitting outside in driveway one night and smoke started come out from under hood, popped hood and saw that smoke was coming from wiper motor. Used fire extinguisher to put small fire out from wiper motor area, the fire melted the wiring harness to the motor.. After purchasing a wiper motor repair pigtail and wiring it in to burnt one and purchasing a remanufactured wiper motor when I turn on switch all I hear is a click from wiper motor ( wiper motor has a printed circuit board to make the delay function work as well as slow and fast motions.. I have checked all fuses that I know for wipers.. I`m not sure where wiper relay is located to check to see if that is my problem.. This has me really stumped, looking for a answer to my problem.

21,725

Normal Operation The windshield wiper motor receives battery voltage from the battery junction box (BJB) through circuit 2025 (RD/YE), and voltage from the central junction box (CJB) through circuit 65 (DG) when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position. The windshield wiper motor is grounded through circuit 676 (PK/OG) and circuit 57 (BK). The windshield wiper motor receives switched ground signals from the multi-function switch through circuits 56 (DB/OG), 58 (WH), 61 (YE/RD), and 63 (RD). When a wiper function is selected, the multi-function switch grounds 1 of several combinations of these 4 circuits. The windshield wiper motor interprets these ground signals and performs the action requested. The multi-function switch is grounded through circuit 57 (BK). Possible Causes Fuse(s) Circuit 56 (DB/OG) open Circuit 57 (BK) open Circuit 58 (WH) open Circuit 61 (YE/RD) open Circuit 63 (RD) open Circuit 65 (DG) open or short to ground Circuit 676 (PK/OG) open Circuit 2025 (RD/YE) open or short to ground Multi-function switch Windshield wiper motor

Thanks Tracy for the information, I`ll need to get a wiring diagram to check those circuits.. I don`t have a owner manual for this car do you know what website I can go to and possibly download it and the location of the wiper relay in the battery junction box.

21,725

I'm sorry. I don't.

405

the wiper motor you got might be defective.I had the same issue and I received a defective rebuilt Wiper motor from advanced auto parts and it also had fixed the 1st issue which was my wiper running in delay mode while the switch was off.I got the rebuilt Wiper motor and next thing I knew the window wash pump would not come on.took my old wiper motor and plunged it in a next thing you know my washer worked.The rebuilt wiper motor was bad from day 1.

21,725

Yeah, most of the retailers ship stuff off to 3rd world countries to be rebuilt by people that rarely ever even get to sit in a car - let alone drive one. Sucks.

405

Yeah,Tell me about it.I blame myself for not checking all the functions out beforehand not just that my wipers action and delay was working.The real issue was the motor going on in delay mode while the wiper switch was off but that ended when the rebuilt motor was replaced,Bad for me that I did not check the window washer operation of the rebuilt not just motor operation, I did not check operation of washer motor relay inside the wiper motor ,I will not make this mistake again. As we all know we learn something everyday.Sometimes easy and sometimes not.Issue is resolved now and maybe this might help someone down the line about the issue I had with wipers coming on while off,If you remember the first thing I an I think most would have jumped to think it had been the multifunction switch which in most cases might have been correct ,Remember there is no one fix all.

45

SOUNDS LIKE A DEFECTIVE MOTOR ASSEMBLY. MAKE SURE THE WIPER TRANSMISSION IS NOT BINDING. DID YOU FIND OUT WHAT CAUSED FIRE ? IF IT CLICKS,THEN MOST LIKELY THE RELAY AND FUSES ARE WORKING. NEED TO DOUBLE CHECK ALL FUSES. TRY A KNOWN GOOD RELAY, PULL ONE FROM FUSE BOX. MOST RELAYS WILL INTERCHANGE.

thanks john, you are right. i had the same problem and the same results' tried another motor and the washer works. the people swear that the wipers don't affect the washer and try to sell you a washer motor but there wrong and don't bite the bait. the wiper and the washer are somehow related.

and tracy, TMI....keep it simple for stupid people like me...haha, just playing. thanks for all that information I'm sure someone will benefit from it somehow

seems as if most of the "rebuilt" wiper motors will have a defaut. next vehicle i will try to purchase a "new" one

50

I already changed the fuses and motor for the wipers for my mercury grand marquis 2003 and its still not working. Can someone help me out. I will appreciate your help.

So bottom line what is causing the "ghost wipers"? I have looked for a relay in the distribution box under the hood and all I see are more fuses and breakers. To me it is acting like a sticky relay seems like a bump in the sets mine off..

21,725

Either a short in the wiring: an open in the wiring: a defective wiper motor (most likely), or a bad switch No easy answer here

So I replaced the multifunction switch all to no avail. Still have the same symptoms wipers run full on or not at all. And no washer. Next I guess I will try the replacing the motor. The parts guy said there is a also a "pulse forward" assembly. Any idea what that is or where it is?

21,725

Never heard of a "pulse forward" anything. Hell, I don't even know a parts guy worth a damn any more.