Loud radiator fan

10

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM about the 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium

I have a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. Ive noticed when the car gets to normal
operating temperature and I'm driving for over 20 minutes the radiator fan kicks on and
is very loud. This occurs with or without the AC running. I'm not sure if this is normal for
this vehicle. Ive driven different vehicles with similar sized engines and the radiator fan
never sounded this loud. The car doesn't appear to be over heating and the check
engine light is not on. Its just annoying especially if I'm at a stop light or a drive thru. Any
suggestions?

93,145

Check to see if there is anything in the way of the air flow through the radiator or if the radiator has a lot of bugs or dirt in the fins, also make sure that the fan isn't coming apart, that will cause an unbalanced fan and it would make more noise and a vibration. but you may not notice the vibration inside the car.

if you've got to replace it (son of a bitch of a job) here are some parts choices~

24,245

What makes you think it's a tough job? I've probably changed out 20 of these since I've been working on a fleet of 2003 to 2012 Crown Victoria Police Interceptors - If it takes more than 1 hour - you're doing it wrong! BTW - change out the relay box attached to the fan too - preventative.

410

Try lubricating the bearings, and see if it makes a difference.

10

Took the vehicle to a private mechanic who ran an electrical diagnostic and he said its the PCM that's gone bad. The computer is not clearing its memory which prevents the pcm from telling the radiator fan to turn on and off like its supoose to. Luckily the pcm is accessible without removing any other parts. Finding one without buying direct from the dealer is another story.

10

I find it funny the dealer couldn't diagnose this issue.... the car is still under warranty.