Lincoln Town Car

5

Asked by Jul 19, 2015 at 09:58 PM about the 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I have found a 2007 Lincoln Town Car with 37100 miles on it.  It is in great shape except
for the rotors which needs replacing/turning.   Is there anything else that should be looked
at on a car this age or do i just pick up with regular maintenance schedule and drive it until
the wheels fall off??  thanks

19,865

Sure, download the owners manual and maintenance schedule from the Internet and enjoy your car. Aside from fuel costs, you're set and should not worry for the next 70,000 to 100,000 miles. Just regular maintenance. Follow the maintenance schedule.

47,865

Take a close look at the automatic climate control and make sure it is working properly. The EATC control is pretty expensive to replace. I am having a hard time understanding why the brakes are shot at 37,000 miles. Perhaps it was driven around in town a lot. Transmission will need to be serviced also.

95

I have a Grand Marquis LSE (265K miles) which is mechanically the same car. The Ford rotors just warp. You can have them turned at most shops for just a few bucks or even free; Ford will insist on doing a full brake job ($600++) before they will even touch it. Aftermarket rotors may be better. And what he said about the climate control is true, but since so many of these cars are in use as taxis, you should be able to find one that is used or rebuilt for much cheaper than the Motorcraft brand. Eventually, the blend door may get stuck, which is not cheap just because they have to take off the dash. But they're great cars. I was just told (again) by a mechanic that 500K miles is nothing for these cars, so you should go for it, and follow the maintenance schedule.

19,865

Judagar - brakes are one of those items are totally dependent on how the car is driven. One person can burn out the brakes in 20,000 miles or another person can go 50,000 miles. Don't pay attention to Bob's surprised comment able why he doesn't understand how the brakes can be worn out. It's called jack rabbit starts and panic stops, along with protracted stop and go driving. Yes, get the transmission fluid changed, cheap insurance, if it's a transmission that can be serviced. Many new ones are sealed, you'll have to check that. Hey, just take it easy and enjoy your car. As I've gotten older I realize that excessive speed and hard driving results in more repairs and money. Treat your car with respect and don't drive like Mario Andretti and it will take you further. Even though its an older model, it should be fine if you are careful.

47,865

@Markw1953, brakes really should not be worn out at the stated mileage, rotors could be warped and require turning or replacement. Warped rotors usually require replacement as many will vibrate again soon after being turned. In my opinion the number 1 reason rotors warp or vibrate during braking is over-tightening the lug nuts.

19,865

Bob, it really depends on the car and the driver. When I was younger, I had a VW Rabbit that didn't have large enough rotors and no matter how carefully I drove, the brakes wore out every 20,000 to 24,000 miles. Of course, I did a lot of stop and go freeway driving in bumper to bumper traffic. I have a 2009 Toyota Prius with 62,000 miles and the original brakes. With age comes wisdom and better driving skills. As I said, it's the car, driver and driving conditions. You would have to admit that a lot of mountainous driving would also make a difference. If Judagar is concerned about the brakes, I suggest ventilated rotors which cost more, but will last longer and give better performance. As far as rotors or brakes, surely you know that it's not just the hard wear and short stops, but, part of this equation is time. It's 2007 car.

19,865

Yes, you're better off replacing the rotors, calipers and pads. A complete brake job is going to be your best option and well worth the investment in this ultra low mileage car.

47,865

Mark1952, please don't lecture me, it's a Lincoln not a Prius or or a VW. Certainly the brakes could be worn out, but generally people do not drive Lincolns aggressively. We disagree on this topic so live with it. If you are referring to drilled rotors, those have issues with cracking between the holes. Buy name brand rotors and pads and install them and all will be fine.

19,865

Bob, I'm not lecturing you, just stating my experience, you read much more into this. Look, people have different driving experiences. It's possible that there are people driving more or less aggressively in any car, but, I agree it's less likely in a Lincoln. As for my Prius, Toyota told me that this particular car is normal to see 60,000 miles plus.

47,865

Mark, I must be abnormal as I have never had to replace brakes. Even our Infiniti G37x is notorious for eating brakes has 54,000 and original brakes.

5

OK guys. thanks for the answer. I bought the car and got a good deal. It's replacing my 2003 Town Car with 154000 miles. I looked at several other cars (including new) but every time I got back in the Lincoln, I missed the sofa ride, so... Anyway, this literally was a little old lady who drove so I'm assuming lots of short trips with stop and go so rotors needed turning. I plan to replace them next year just to keep the ride smooth. The inside looks like factory new and my local Lincoln dealership checked it out and said it was in great shape. Plan to drive this for many years to come. May even uber it since it's black! (just for fun) We're good about doing all the scheduled maintenance so it should be good to go. Thanks for all the help!

19,865

Judagar, good for you, sounds like you found a great deal!

19,865

Hi Bob, you probably don't live in a large city and deal with heavy traffic. I live in LA and it can get pretty intense here. I'm retired now and don't commute anymore, but, when I did, it's like a jungle out there. Stopping and starting in bumper to bumper traffic is very hard on brakes and everything else. In fact, the last ten years I was working, I shifted to taking the train it got so unnerving. I love driving and we take road trips all the time, but, after twenty years of driving 25 miles each way to downtown LA, it finally got too much. In terms of traffic, LA sets the standard for really bad traffic. So, I'll just tell you in 20 years, I've seen everything. Getting out of my car saved me from having to replace my car and it lasted twice as long as my previous car. My previous employer paid for my ride, we had a terrible parking problem. Pleasure driving is really where it's at. In the next 20 years, we'll see self driving cars and it's going to launch a cultural revolution that is going to rival the industrial revolution and the disappearance of the horse and buggy. There may still be regular cars, but, the insurance industry will make people who don't use computer cars will have to pay through the nose. I'm sure that people will know what the self driving car will do, but, human driving has too many variables.

5

OK, so i got the car. 2007 Signature. One thing I noticed that the ride is stiffer than my 2003. Is this a common thing or is it something i can have checked out. It has air springs (switch in trunk) and the diagnostics on dash say it is on or off. any suggestions?

19,865

Try it both ways and let us know.

47,865

Stiffer ride might be better for control of the vehicle. As long as the air ride is at the proper height and working properly don't worry about it as there no firmness adjustments. What I am saying is if the car looks to be the right height in the rear, it is operating normally. I have the same ari ride system in my Marauder.

19,865

Judagar, I agree with Bob, that a firmer more controlled ride is better over being on an rolling "cloud. I know that people buy these for the softer ride, so, it's not going to seem as planted as a Porsche, lol. Hey, are you going to disclose what you paid? The only disadvantage I can think of with your new wheels is the fuel mileage. Other than that, its a cruiser.

5

10k Out the door

47,865

I'd replace ALL of the fluids, run synthetic motor oil and enjoy the ride.

I have a 2007 Town Car with 191,000 and it runs like the day I bought it. I have had to make repairs this month but nothing unexpected an alternator, battery, spark plugs, etc. etc. It is a great car with a very comfortable ride. Did I mention this is my 7th Town Car?

745

Are you happy withe the way it runs and drives