2007 Lincoln Town Car - Rear (left and right) are uneven.

Asked by Aug 03, 2013 at 08:18 AM about the 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature

A little over a year ago our Town Car lost its smooth ride. My wife shows me with what I call the "Jurassic Park" test. She has a glass of water in the center console cup holder and it ripples as the car is moving at a steady speed on the highway. It did not do this when we obtained the car with 12,000 miles on it. It has 106,000 now. It's her 4th Town Car and she knows how they are supposed to ride.
She also noticed that the left and right rear of the car are at different heights, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch different.  
We took it to a private mechanic who replaced the shocks with higher quality aftermarket shocks, thinking that would fix it and it did not. He said we would have to take it to a dealership and have them adjust it with a tool only the dealers have.
We took it to a Ford dealer and they said that it needs Ford shocks, not the ones that the previous mechanic put on. I said, if that will fix it then ok.  We also had them put on new tires, so they would not say "Its your tires". They recommend and put on Michelin Defender Tires,
The ride is still not smooth like it should be and they are saying "Its because of the car has 106K miles". The rear left and right heights are still different too.
Any Ideas?

Height sensors that determine when compressor inflates air bladders need to be replaced .... That line "because it has 106k miles" is the same as "I don't know" and won't admit it

Thanks for the input. Are there independent sensors for the left and right sides?

No, only one but if it is faulty it throws everything out of whack, and the system does not know the load/height and when to inflate the air bladders, evenly or otherwise. There is a good image that is copyrighted so I can't post it but check out: http://www.suncoreindustries.com/lincoln-town-car-suspension-diagram.php

I did use plural in my first answer...my bad ..and it could be the control module faulty not the sensor

Just a suggestion: Are the tire pressures set to max or set to the recommendation on the door jamb sticker? Has anyone looked at the potentially saggy old coil springs?

Greetings again, Sorry about delay getting back, I had to get some of my parts worked on last week but now back to the original task. I will be taking our Town car to the dealership this weekend and we will see if the sensor suggestion rings a bell with them. I will get them to double check the tires etc. I will post results next week. My wife also noticed a clicking noise under the dash that to me is faint but indeed present. I will ask them about that too.

OK, Dealership called today and said they noticed front Control Arm Strut Impact damage. They believe this is causing the rear not to be level. They have a damaged 2007 Town Car (Damage in the rear) and want to use the control arms off of that car on mine (at not charge). They will call tomorrow and update me.

Greetings, Got is back from the Ford Dealer today. They replaced the front control arm struts at no charge. That was good. Only lost time. Unfortunately the rear is still uneven, no change. So, I believe that the DavidH25 suggestion is the answer I don't understand why they did not check/replace the height sensor. I suggested that to them. Maybe they don't have the necessary tools or skill. Or possibly they thought I was crazy for suggesting it. Anyhow, I am either going to take it to an Official Lincoln dealer or is it the kind of repair I can do myself? Any suggestions?

PopsDad, I have the same problem on my 09 Town Car with 40k miles. Did you resolve your problem? If so how did you fix it?

Idris Elbekkali

I had the same problem with my 2011 with only 32K miles on it. This is my 4th towncar sine 1998 and I strongly believe it is a design flaw from Lincoln that they refuse to admit. By the way that was with airbags and although I replaced them, still the same issue ( 2011 didn't come with airbags from the assembly line).

Idris Elbekkali

If you wish to adjust the height, insert one of those rubber rings into the passenger front and rear spring coil that if you decided to get rid of the airbags like I did

i have a 2006 lincoln towncar what cause it to sit uneven only when im driving it but even when its still could it be my airbags suspension but my light not coming on

The light only comes on when the air suspension system has a failure that it's computer can recognize. It's likely that you have a leaky bag.

My mechanic told me the control module is bad which is why it is sitting uneven and said he could fix it for $550. I told him no as I don't believe the control module is bad. I new control module is $125 and takes about 20 to 30 minutes to change.

Idris Elbekkali

I strongly believe it is a frame issue. I took the airbags of a 2004 and put coils. The car was still uneven. I replaced the coils with different ones again and still. Then gave up. I spoke to so many towncar owners who have the same issue

I am not going crazy then. I thought the same thing that the back is uneven. I had the airbags fail a while ago and had regular suspension put on. I had had all ball joints and multiple control arms replaced over the years. I did not do this to make the car even, I have had the balls joints go multiple times. Anyways the car is uneven. I wonder if the regular suspension can hold the weight as good as the air suspension. Air suspension will eventually break though, there are too many parts.