why is my brake light comes on and off

25

Asked by Apr 15, 2008 at 07:11 PM about the 2001 Acura CL 3.2 Type-S

40,945

Best to have this checked by a mechanic. Could be a problem with the ABS.

285

the brake light comes on when its cold cause that filter basket in the master cylinder deforms after time and causes the light to come on when its cold or at start-up. the fluid level sensor is in it and gets caught up

2,040

because you are stepping on the brake pedal,and then taking your foot off the pedal stupid....yous lights will go on and then off accordingly....hope this helps

95

There is a locating pin going from your master cylinder to the fluid chamber on your ABS unit. When you step on the brake several thousand times, the pin becomes dislodged and causes a reverse polarity situation in which the wiring becomes shorted to the indicator lights. Sometimes they also arc off of the ignition wires. Mainly though, you should probably try cleaning the contacts with some cleaning fluid. If this doesn't work, try removing some brake fluid and lubricating your master cylinder with master cylinder lube (available at the dealer). I have found this helps exponentially with this problem in the past. Hope it helps.

210

Larry... I'm having the same problem. We're talking about the brake light located on the instrument panel not the brake lights at the rear of the car. Perhaps your comment on "stupid" was your own self-analysis...

50

My CL-S has the same issues and the light comes on and goes off at random intervals, I also have what I'm thinking to be an ignition problem cause not only does the brake lamp come on but the battery symbol and another light seem to flicker like there's a bad wire connection...anyone have that issue?

20

A month ago My son had a brake light switch installed in his 2003 Acura CL because the back brakes light stopped working. I went outside one night after the installment and the lights blinked front n bake lights kept coming on as if someone was mashing the lock button on the key remote,again tonight just only the brake lights going off and on like someone pressing on n off the brake pedals,what can be the problem