2007 Kia Rondo won't start, but lights, radio, etc. work.

25

Asked by May 11, 2008 at 01:56 AM about the 2007 Kia Rondo LX V6

Hi there, my wife just called from a trip and she's stuck at our grandpa's. She says she puts the key in the ignition, and it won't start, even though the lights, radio, etc. work. Any suggestions????

40

have you tried changing the starter?

90

We too have a 2007 Rondo LX 6Cyl - Occasionally will not turn over. If you keep at it long enough it eventually will. We have had a relay in the ignition replaced, starter replaced and it is still doing it. The dealership we went to is stumped (and not very helpful). Would like to know if you try anything that works.

5,045

check the ignition system of ur rondo. http://kia-rondo.net/

50

we have a 2007 Rondo 4cyl - but similar problem starting. Thought it might be ignition switch in column, but maybe starter - though now we are reading your post... Usually it will start if it is cool and dry. Warm to hot motor, then usually it will not start. Wet it will not start. Have to wait a while and jiggle the car and pray or swear...(kidding) If you find out more please post. thanx

40

I have a 2009 Rondo V6 EX and it too does this on occasion. Starts quicker if I take the key out and try again. Dealership says that it may be a key issue, so they recoded the keys , but still happens. Has anyone gotten new keys?

Ours seems to work if the wheels are straight, but not if they are turned. Was that the case for any of you?

10

I have a 2009 that started doing the same thing. Wont start, seems to happen when its hot outside, but some combination of giggling of keys and turning things off and on makes it start again. Was told starter (which I doubt) or cam position sensor (also doubt). Neither are affected by heat or mysteriously resolved by hope and prayer. Im guessing ignition interlock or coding on the key.

10

The wrong key would allow lights etc to work but not start. Possible, but unlikely given that others have had new keys made without success. More likely is the the transmission (I said ignition, I meant transmission) interlock. It prevents the car from starting in gear, and being a mechanical switch, could wear over time. A little wiggling of the selector or mivement of the vehicle could mive it back to making contact. Im going to pull it and see if it could be the culprit.

10

Some searching shows a "neutral safety switch" is available for about $25. I am going to try playing with the shifter the next time this happens.

10

2009 Kia rondo - exact same problem! Anyone figure out what the problem is? I don't have the money to take it in and let mechanic dig around to investigate. Just paid $300 for a crankshaft position sensor!

40

Take the key out and re insert in ignition, I believe it could be a computer glitch with the anti theft. Starts for me when I do this. Do not get talked into new keys, I got new keys and ignition and it still happens on occasion.

I know it's up ongoing problem with the starting of the Kia Rondo I had the bright idea to check the neutral safety switch as soon as I click on arm on the neutral safety switch the car started right up

As an update, I pulled the transmission interlock switch and replaced it. It sits alongside the transmission lever and is mostly plastic so wears out over time. The cost is about $25 and you can swap it out inside the vehicle with nothing more than screwdriver. Just pull the plastic trim off that surrounds the shifter and you will see it there. In the meantime, if the car has power but won't start, try shifting in and out of gear to see if you can activate the switch.

GuruYGNWZ, did it work?

It did, and has been running fine for over a year. When you see it, it's so obvious why it wears out. It's a switch that tells your car that it is in park so you can safely start it. It's it isn't working, everything else will work but the car won't start.