Lift Gate will not open

35

Asked by Apr 04, 2011 at 06:55 PM about the 2007 Suzuki XL-7 Luxury

Lift Gate will not open, the other doors will unlock with remote but not the LIFT GATE. Has any one had this same thing happen with there Suzuki?

950

I have the same problem since yesterday (also XL7 2007) . I changed the 15A fuse (in slot no.4) but no success... the four doors all lock / unlock with the remote, but there's no sound or click from the liftgate.

400

this just happened to my lift gate as well....looking for a non expensive solution.

210

Hello. At me the same problem. How you have solved it?

80

I am having this issue too. If anyone finds an answer please let me know. The doors unlock but the hatch does not....ugggg.

245

Found this on another forum. I ordered part # 82850-78J00 and waiting to replace it when I receive it. I just finished replacing my tailgate touch-pad. I tried GM and Suzuki dealers for the part - Suzuki was cheaper and got the part faster for me (London, ON). Cost was around $28 CDN. The worst problem I had was removing the rear wiper so that the outside plastic trim piece could be removed. I enlisted the help of a glass replacement shop who used a good puller tool to take it off for me. The guy who helped me didn't charge for it and said that I could also have used a heat gun to heat the wiper arm and it would have expanded and come off easier. Interesting failure mode on the old part - it corroded where it is located inside of the hatch housing; the internal pad area looks new! I made sure to put never-seize on the wiper before reassembling.

1,935

The touch pad in the lift gate corrodes inside. I have a 2008 XL7. I took the lift-gate apart. I had to use a Dremel tool to grind the plastic away to expose the ends of the copper strip that corroded. I soldered in a piece of copper wire. I had to replace the screws in the touch pad also because they were corroded too. The trouble with the design is that you can't pull the touch-pad out after taking out two screws, because the opening is not wide enough to get the connector through the opening. I did grind the opening wider before I put the touch-pad housing back on. I used ATV sealer to seal all the seams and over the repaired part.This Suzuki website will let you view the service manual for $3.99/ day. A great deal to get the correct info for your Suzuki. https://suzukipitstopplus.com

20

You might want to file a complaint with Transport Canada. I had the same problem! https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

20

Apparently, it's $80 for the part, plus labour = approx $200!

20

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-defectinvestigations-index-76.htm

90

I had this problem with my 2007 xl7 and it was just a matter of changing out the fuse. It is fuse number 4 in the interior fuse box a 15amp fuse. Your book will tell you which fuse is the number 4 fuse if you are unsure. I had to buy a pack of about 5 fuses from the local autoparts store but it was only a few dollars. Much chearper than taking it to the mechanic.

30

repaired mine same as above was very helpful tech13158 (Thanks)

40

not sure what the actual problem was but i ran a fused hot wire from fuse panel to a push button i mounted in glove box removed fuse #4 and ran other wire from push button to fuse #4 now i push a button and it opens. Remove fuse #4 before running wire to it. Use bottom terminal of fuse 4

185

The one vendor is telling me that Suzuki part# 82850-78J00 has been superceded by part # 8285078J01 and that part is around $63 where the other one was around $23! My 2008 XL7 developed the lift gate problem this past weekend. Is there a USA agency that it can be reported to? Especially if it is a poor design.

60

I have a Suzuki XL7 and mine just stopped working too. I replace fuse #4 and it still is not working. I guess I will be stuck with the crazy expensive labor charge now.

1,935

Read my answer above. It is most likely the press pad that is rusted internally. A generic horn button would do what that press pad in the hatch does.

30

I have the same problem it just stopped working. Whats the cheapest way to get it fixed

70

I have an 2007 XL7 and my lift gate started not working this weekend. I there a website you can go to, to order the part. I have tried to replace the fuse and it wasn't that.

60

My #4 fuse LOOKS functional. I use a butter knife with a big handle to release the locking mechanism from the inside. The hole accessing the tailgate latch is inside the rear compartmenti on the bottom, center of the inside of the tailgate. The latch is just to the the left of center inside the hole. The first few times you try this use a flashlight to see where the latch is.

60

Great answers mine was not the fuse but rather than buying the part I installed a weather proof push button that I bought at a autoparts store for $7. What you do is remove the screws from the pad and remove the drivers hand side license plate light, mine just snap out. Pull the pad out it will take some doing and I suggest using a thin screwdriver to pop off the wire connection The pad is connected to a water proof plug and is two conductor on a green wire you may be able to pull this out and cut the connector off. Once I had the pad out I took a 4" piece of 1"x1" think angle stock and drilled the two mounting holes and a center 1/2" hole for the push button then wired it to the original wires. By doing this it's not only cheaper but works better and is easier to repair total time took me about 1/2 hour.

40

Has anyone found\posted a video on how to do the manual unlock from the inside of the zuki? I'm trying the butter knife method, without success.

60

It took me several minutes to learn how to use the butter knife method. Now, I can pop open the back in seconds. Use a flashlight to look inside the hole. There is a a short, vertical, bar of metal with another piece of metal sticking out, on the right side of it. It looks something like this: "|-", the - piece of metal is the latch release you want to push firmly. Something as big as your finger (but much stiffer) and with a flat end is ideal, like a screwdriver but thicker. I think a video would be almost useless because you can not see what is going on inside the small, dark hole.

10

82850-78J00 & 82850-78J00 are both on ebay same part

10

There is a spot in the inside of the trunk if your car it has a circle like object about the size of a silver dollar remove it then with a flashlight look inside the circle and you will see a silver lever You will notice it real early because all the other metal is black, take a butterknife and use the handle of the knife and simply press on that silver lever and the truck will pop open real easly