What does it mean when I'm driving home and my Range Rover shuts off and wouldn't start. It said I had 75 miles until empty. I put gas in it and it run fine so far

20

Asked by Nov 04, 2015 at 07:36 PM about the 2006 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE

92,455

Running out of gas is evidence that your computer is off. Apparently 75 miles actually = 0.

20

Is it safe to drive it to a dealership? I think the Becm needs reprogramming. I'm about 180 mile away from one

92,455

How many gallons did it take to fill it after you ran out? How many gallons of gas does your tank hold? Your manual should tell you. If you have a 20 gallon tank and you put 20 gallons in it when you ran out then you have nothing to worry about. If it ran out of gas and it only took 2 gallons to fill it then there is something really wrong and I would not drive it far.

20

I had it towed home. I put 4 gallons of gas in it and it registered 1/4 of a tank. My wife had been driving it and put regular unleaded in it. I put 4 gallons of premium.

24,415

It really means that it is time to get rid of the RR and get a better built car- 9 years is about when you have to open a second bank account in your Rover's name just to keep it running-

20

That's what I've decided I just need to get it fixed so I can trade!!

92,455

I think you are getting full use out of your gas tank. What did your gas gauge read when you ran out of gas? Empty? I have never found those trip computers to be anything more than a suggestion. In any case check to make sure your tank still takes the amount of gas it should and that the gas gauge accurately reflects the gas tank level - in other words if you have a 20 gallon tank and your gas gauge reads half full then it should take around 10 gallons. If it is way off for some reason then you need to find out why.

20

It read a little above empty.

20

I've had messages come across, like check side light, coolant, tail lights, spare tire pressure and the check engine light has been on since I had the alternator changed! When I check those their ok!

20

But, it's running fine.

20

Bueller! Beuller! Help!!

75

There are two fuel level senders in the tank. One has failed. I had this problem. Interestingly, the sender only had some corrosion on it causing it to stick and and the dealer cleaned the corrosion and I didn't have a problem with it anymore.