2003 Acura MDX wont start

Asked by Nov 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM about the 2003 Acura MDX AWD with Touring Package

Had this problem a couple of times in the last few months. Acura dealer cannot find the problem.Car wont start. Battery is good, lights work, but when I start the ignition, nothing happens, no sounds. If I jump start the car, it works. Dealer has run diagnostic check and found no issues. Any ideas??? Similar problems out there/solutions?Much thanks.

2,050

Check the battery cables may be bad and you only get good power when you jump it.

Thank you, Lorne. Dealer ran same tests as before. Found loose battery cable. Lets see what happens....

20

Could be a fuse if you added a remote starter

30

My wife drives a 2003 Acura MDX. It has the same starting issues that you mentioned. Occasionally, the vehicle does nothing when the key is turned. Usually when the key is taken out and tried a few times it will eventually start. I suspected it was an ignition switch problem. Although that was not indicated on a diagnostics scan at my mechanic's garage. The only thing coming up on the scan is a Powertrain Module error. Not sure if that's it or not. Taking it to the dealership soon to have it checked out further.

10

In my case it was a bad battery connection. I have a 2001 Acura MDX - must say it's nice SUV. Last week I had the same problem i.e. the car won't start. The internal lights worked, horn worked, radio worked but the car won't just start and just kept making a lot of clicking sound. I tried to jump start it using a brand new jumper cable but surprisingly that failed to start the car as well. I started to wonder if my alternator/starter had gone bad. After reading a lot of forums I decided to clean the battery connections. I cleaned the terminals properly and removed the felt rings that were installed 5 months ago when I had purchased a new battery. And, the car just started with just one turn of the ignition. Obviously, the problem was with the leads where the stupid felt rings had deteriorated and accumulated gunk and that lead to a bad connection, especially on the Negative terminal. I am glad that I didn't get my car towed to the Acura dealership who were telling me that it was probably a combination of bunch of bad problems that could cost me over $500 in a series of diagnostic tests and up to $1000 in parts.

2003 mdx problem starting shake eld plug car wants tostart

10

Wuaooo i have a st mechanic Tha is a simple acura problem Dealer guy graduated with a diploma can not respond let me tell you is easy fix On 2003 and up has 2 diferent issues 1 issues is klick klick sound like the started is ba bt dont let it trick you .. And no ckrank For tha sound you has to remove de negatibe cable complety of the battery to the motor and ground chassis clean them all with a steel bruch or sand paper clean also cut a extra fat wire and add to the negative ground and put it directly to the chassis on And the car wiilll star up with no money waste Number 2 issues ........ When the car krank bt dont star up and you dont Has gas getting into the injjector dont replace the fuel pump??? Firts see main relay under you dash up the foot brake pedal is the locatiom fi relay or main relay ?? If is no power getting on the red and blue cable i tink for tha issues is the main relay Buy it and bingo car will star up Wuaooo everybody i tink the dealer guy has to payme for help them here and teach them solutiom jaaaaa street mechanic allway are the best I learm from american army guy when i was 7 year old on el salvador good luck everyone