My 2005, RR HSE Water reservoirs gets too hot and leaks so I always to top up the water every now and then.

Asked by Jul 24, 2012 at 09:31 AM about the 2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE

Hello Friends. I bought this RR HSE, 2005 at 47,000 miles. I noticed that the engine gets too hot that
the water reservoir, the first one burst and I replaced it and still notice that the water leaks from this
new water reservoir. I always top up the water in the water reservoir every now and then because the
water level decreases every time i drive. This is as a result of leakage from the water reservoir every
time i drive it. The cooling fan works well and the temperature gauge does not increase except the
reservoir and the engine runs out of water, though I dont allow it to run out totally because I always
top up the water every now and then.
I want to believe something is wrong with the cooling system of the engine. Though I have been told
I may have to change the thermostat, though the car was brought from Texas, USA to Nigeria, West
Africa which is a tropical region though.
Please advice me on what to do because I know it is not normal to top the water of the cooland at
least twice a day. My other cars, the Honda, I dont top their water for months.
Please advice. Thanks.

13,195

From the history of the car I would suspect head/head gasket. With the engine cool remove radiator cap and start engine. As the engine warms watch for bubbles to show at radiator. If you show a steady flow of bubbles its the head/head gasket. If no bubbles probably not. Also check the radiator and reservoir for oily sludge. This could be intake gasket. Of course with all this I am assuming you have no visible leaks? Other things to check for are thermostat installed backwards, plugged radiator internal or external or kinked hoses.

as of yesterday my 2005 HSE needed a radiator..

8,935

any part can be leaking, yes the head gaskets are common ON LAND ROVER not RANGE.....anyone there capable of a cylinder pressure check (whoever diagnosed the radiator), that will instantly tell if the gaskets are ok. and careful with water, TRY TO ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER If you have to use water!!! the minerals in regular water will rust it out internally, Rover has been using the same block since 78, but the top of the motor has been changed over alot. the land rover models have some bmw components, some went to ford. RR went to Ford and was built a bit better, they invested more in the quality of parts!! yours should be a Ford if i'm not mistaken.(just some history).they are too expensive just to install parts based on trial and error. so try it, but ask them to do a pressure test of each cylinder for your reassurance, and let me know if i can help further

5,285

If it's a petrol (or gasoline for you Americans out there) V8 the engine would be a BMW M62 4.4 litre V8, which is a very reliable unit provided it's maintained properly. Replacing coolant with water is definitely not going to make it last longer as there would be little to nothing in the way of corrosion inhibitors in the new mixture. I would have the cooling system pressurized and leak checked at a garage if I were you, even in hot temperatures the coolant should not require filling up this often. It might be something small like a hose that's leaking or something bigger like a crack in the radiator. Find out where your coolant is going and fix your problem before you end up replacing the engine...

40

Hi found a leak on the rad connection it was the small hose going from the refill bowl to the top of the rad right next to the top rad hose really hard to see never mind get at the little plastic conector had sprung a leak a huge job if you have to remove the rad anyone got an easy way to fix this problem ? Let me know thanks Steve