Cold weather issues??

10

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 01:12 PM about the 2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE

A week and a half ago, I was driving my 2003 Range Rover HSE, and smelled oil badly. I pulled over to find my engine covered in oil. Fortunately, I was right next to my Land Rover dealer, and pulled in to have it checked. They determined that due to the cold, a pvc valve had frozen, and wasn't allowing oil to circulate though the engine, forcing it out of the oil cap. I had this repaired. Today I was stopped at an intersection, and an awful smell started coming from my engine compartment. I accelerated from the light, and huge plumes of grey smoke started to come from the vehicle, It sputtered a bit, and I parked it. I checked the engine and there was no sign of anything wrong. I slowly drove the car home, and it was fine, except when I applied the accelerator harder. When I did this, the grey smoke would appear, and the service engine light would activate. The car isn't overheating, and seems to operate fine at lower speeds. Any suggestions on what this may be? I do plan on taking this to my dealer, but would appreciate some knowledge before I do so. Thank you.

83,715

Sound like a head gasket or a cracked head to me, They will do a compression test to see if any low cylinders indicating a bad head gasket. White, grey smoke threw the exhaust is coolant being burnt of. You should be able to smell kinda a sweet smell to it.

83,715

Unless it is oil being pulled threw the rings or valve guides, that is more blueish in color and smells like burnt oil.

109,405

When you drive a Range Rover it is always good to be right next to a RR dealer!

10

Thanks for the reply, I certainly hope it's not a head gasket, (I don't smell antifreeze), but I also had that feeling. $$$

10

As for Full of Regrets...Broken down Range Rovers don't make me smile, but your reply did.