they are selling me a 1996 land rover for 1500? is it ok

Asked by Jun 07, 2012 at 05:29 PM about the 1996 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0 SE

has 250,000 miles :/

55

Not a bad price, that car is probably worth $2-3k if it's in good mechanical condition. That, however, is the big if. For instance, if the air suspension goes that could cost you a couple grand to fix. Those engines could suck up a couple grand just to stop the leaks. Make sure you take it to a good mechanic, preferably one that specializes in Land Rovers so he knows what to look for. Good luck though, they are great cars!

85

I have several questions but as an owner of a 2000 Range Rover and Disco II my first is I would suggest craigslist, ebay etc to look for better deals at least mileage-wise. I will tell you this a 99 or above will have a better ride etc than pre-99's. I take it this is your first Disco I? If so I will tell you they are easy vehicles to deal with BUT be prepared to baby it if the previous owner has used it without remorse. Based on the almost 20k miles per year I would spend my money elsewhere personally. Look at it this way, you were fine without the car up until now and you will be fine without it afterwards. Just as in baseball, wait for your pitch, dont rush it. The disco and the RR are two different beasts so do your research and pick the right one for you. If you are mechanically inclined nothing is beyond your DIY scope...just time is needed. I will tell you that there are several companies such as DAP, Rovers North, and Atlantic British are good sourceable locations along with Rover Renovations for air spring related fixes. Hope this helps