Car shut off when i pressed gas peddle now it won't start up.

10

Asked by Jan 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM about the 1994 Land Rover Range Rover County LWB

I have recently purchased a 1994 Range Rover Country LWB. It had been an extra car and not driven a lot. I bought and have been putting the miles on it. I was driving down the highway and noticed the motor choking a bit when I pressed the gas, figured it had junk in the tank since it was less than 1/4 tank. Filled it up and put some fuel treatment in it. Choked worse on the way home. The next day I started it fine, left the driveway and pressed the gas and it quit. Now it turns over but will NOT fire. I checked the fuel lines and the motor seems to be getting gas, fuses seem to be fine, but it will not start. Not sure what to check next. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

18,465

Fuel pump may have went out.

10

Nope, unhooked the line, turned the ignition and it squirted gas, so that is pumping.

18,465

Electronic engine module is what it sounds like. Pull a spark plug and leave it hooked to the wire and put it against something metal under the hood. Crank it over and have someone see if it is firing.

105,945

Have you checked your spark plugs for fire? What condition are your spark plugs in? What condition is your dist cap and rotor button in? Air filter is it clean?

10

I will check in the morning, the dist cap and rotor look new, air filter is good. Haven't checked spark plugs for firing, we will see what that does.

805

Just because it squirts gas does not mean it has the correct pressure. Find the the fuel rail port and actually check prerss. b y hooking up a fuel gauge. If it corresponds to press listed then ck for spark. bet it won't be up to snuff on press.

10

pressure is fine on fuel, now today the emergency flashers came on by theirselves, wondering if I don't have some wiring short problems, not sure if it is causing the starting problem, or if it is something else, breaking down and calling a mechanic its getting worse and more complicated than I am able to deal with..... UGH!!!!!!!!!!

75

U can give us a call if u need any info or parts 818 4rovers

75

Or visit our website theroverspot.com

75

U might want to check ur air mass meter

18,465

Did you ever find the problem?

10

It was bad wiring to the coil, not sure if someone tried to re wire it, but it shorted out and was all wrong! Not sure how it ran well for as long as it did when I got it. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

10

Well.... I got my car back, been driving without issues, then last night coming home, the engine kind of cut out and at the same time the check engine light came on, only lasting a few seconds, happened twice about a minute apart.... Kinda regretting getting this car? Any ideas????

18,465

Take it to advance or autozone and have them read the codes and post them here. They will check it for free.