WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" LIGHT COMES ON?

Asked by Jan 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM about the 2002 Land Rover Freelander 4 Dr S AWD SUV

I JUST PURCHASED A 2002 LAND ROVER FREELANDER AND THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON YESTERDAY.  I CANNOT FIND A MECHANIC CLOSE WHO SERVICES THIS VEHICLE.  IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE WITH THE LIGHT ON?  I AM A 60 YEAR OLD SINGLE FEMALE.

85

Servicing should be every 12k miles or 12months. The car knows when the last services was completed and the tripmeter was reset. So the warning light is telling you it is due again. It should be good for another 1-2k miles, but I would check fuilds etc to make sure all is OK.

195

I am rebuilding the engine in my 2003 Land Rover Freelander after the check engine light turned on. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, radiator cap, and am now rebuilding the engine after the main bearings failed due to insufficient lubrication. The oil pump wasn't supplying sufficient oil pressure. This was an agonizing chain of failures- one thing leading to another.