Question of the Year! LR Discovery 2(Can't install battery..)

5

Asked by Nov 21, 2016 at 07:58 PM about the 2000 Land Rover Discovery Series II 4 Dr STD AWD SUV

I've had her(2000 Land Rover Discovery 2)a
few weeks(although a loose and corroded
negative battery cable was under the hood)with
no issues then Power went out(everything even
hazard lights).Long story short I Took battery
out and cleaned frail and corroded
wire(negative)replaced with New
battery(reading 12.6-12.8),Connected positive
cable then TRIED to connect Negative cable
but it SPARKS and WELDS to terminal and She
tries to Start-up (No key in)!?     
I'm No mechanic at All.Im reporting every detail
in hopes to aid someone┬┐ If key is turned and
then you touch negative cable to terminal She
starts right up but sounds like
starter(or?)keeps running.Remember cable will
fuse/melt/weld(scary)to battery terminal.
So I disconnected the starter wire from
selanod(starter)then touch negative battery  
cable to battery terminal(No I don't have them
crossed! Would that cause this anyway?)and
She STILL tries to start with no key in ignition &
no starter wire on starter solenoid???  !!Help!!
Thanks to everyone for your Time!  1  
┬░SE Georgia USA.(Golden Isles)

175

SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A DIRECT SHORT IN YOU STARTER SELENOID

Best Answer
5

Any advice on next step would definitely be appreciated. Would this issue alone cause the negative terminal & cable to act this way? It's a new(April 2016)starter but taking it to local autoz to have tested wouldn't hurt? Thanks for your advice! Is a "direct short" internal or like wires on outside touching?

175

Try to follow the heavy negitive cable off the starter, tape the end so it won't ground then try to put the negitive cable back on your battery. If it doesnt happen, it should confirm my theory....

175

Sorry, that's the red positive cable at starter. Also follow the negitive cable off the battery, and disconnect it at the ground, and then attach it to battery....

5

When you say tape the end so it doesn't ground. I'm not fully sure what you mean. I am learning at a rapid pace. And once I completely understand ground(theory) I will never have to learn it again! I'm "thinking" you mean so the connection doesn't accidentally touch any other metal objects? Which makes perfect sense! Thanks soooo much for your teachings!

175

Excatally what I mean......Also......VERY IMPORANT.......IF YOUR NEGITIVE CABLE (BLACK) Srarks very much, and starts to melt.......tHE WHOLE DAMM BATTERY MAY HAVE A POSSIBLITY OF EXPLOIDIDG!!!!!!!!......Please be careful.....I would take it in after that at this point.......

5

So I reconnected everything to starter solenoid making sure wires aren't touching(things were to close befor). And Yes finally able to reconnect battery without sparking/welding! She started right up drove across street maybe 5/8min and looked under the hood and looks like smoke coming from oxygen sensor by same area and engine above is real hot aswell. Any ideas or to do's next? Thanks So Much!