New battery and nothing turns on

80

Asked by Jun 03, 2014 at 03:43 PM about the 2004 Land Rover Discovery SE

i had to replace my battery in my 2004 discovery. put the new battery in and now nothing
turns on. has anyone else ever had this issue?

16,665

Why did you replace the battery? Was the car running before the new battery? You do know there are positive and negative battery terminals?

80

I had to replace the battery because it was old and wasn't holding a charge and kept putting my rover in "limp mode". The vehicle was running before and yes I do know the positive and negative posts

16,665

1/ no problem except the battery wasn't holding a charge...2/ put in new battery....3/ now no head lights,no radio. no anything......dead new battery!

80

Just returned the battery and no problem with the battery

16,665

check ground wire

165

it could be your alternator, could be your starter. i would go to your local autozone or pepboys and have them check both starter and alternator. if there both fine and not draining the battery check for a loose ground. also check the battery terminals. posative and negative. check fuses. also look for a corroded bround or wire. its a pain in the a** i just went through this problem myself.

165

in my case i changed everything and still had a drain. the ampmeter said my starter was fine but once i replaced it i havent had a problem and this was two monthes ago . your gonna have to trouble shoot until you find the source of the drain. hope this helps

16,665

no head lights,no radio,no power anywhere has absolutely nothing to do with the alternator,nor starter. He already said the battery was fine and terminals were ok and he did not say he had a short that drained the new battery. I told him to check the ground already. You'd have to blow every fuse to have no power and I already asked him about mixing up the leads (which is kind of near imposible to do) and he said he knew the difference . Waiting for report back on ground.

80

It was the ground wire thank you

16,665

you are welcome

165

actually it does, if the starter or alternator is bad it will be draining the battery dead there for no lights radeo etc. so before you think your cool shit and start talking down to people think about it and shut the fuck up. no need to be rude cause u think your cool on here with nothing better to do with your time, thanks though

16,665

Please read what the questioner said . At no time did they even mention that the battery was draining.

10

Sorry for using your post. i have disco 1 v8i 3.9l engine. since monday it dosnt start. wen i turn the key to start posintion it simple doesn nothing. i replace the batery already but still the same. what can possible be the problem? am far from good electrician so i have to do it with one that never work in a disco. please help PS. all the electrical equipment on the car, lights, worn, radio, etc works.

16,665

If the above discussion didn't help you then start YOUR OWN question and let's see if it can be figured out.

My battery blow in my truck an I replaced the battery an alternater an cable an still no power please help

10

Mine issue seems to be the starter and the heat shield around it. If if wiggle it around a bit and try to turn the truck on it will start. It is a coin toss on when I walk to the truck to start it, regardless of being hot or cold engine. Battery is good, I think it might be one of the wires to the starter that needs to be replaced or checked. However, it could also be the starter going bad. Have a tech check for wires and starter.

Hey Land Rover owners. I had the same problem. My battery died and after putting in a new one my car did nothing. No power at all. I did not know at the time, changing the battery, jumping off another car from your battery, anything having to do with the battery activated my alarm system and locked down my car. You should have a code for resetting the alarm system but I inherited the LR because a relative died so I had no code. I looked online til I found a forum that discussed the challenge in detail and has several options. The code is set by turning you key fob in the door lock the number of times that match the code. The code may be the same as your radio code-which you have to have to reactiveate your radio. If not they offer generic codes different places on line in forums. It's treated as a dealership secret because they can charge upwards of $300.00 to do it for you. Sorry I don't know the sites but they are easy to find with key words: Land Rover battery code, good luck

Here is what is happening to my 1998 disco 1. Rear lights are not working and the radio has P2 code on it and does not work or turn off killing my battery. Done, is the dealer has rematch the computer to the truck as it was changed.(rusted out) Has new gel battery that was working fine before the problem started. I do have my code but the radio will not accept it. Does sound like a ground issue as the tail light do work for short limited times. I will go through the grounds on the truck but if anyone has any info on the P2 code on the radio, keep me informed. thanks