Land Rover Disco 3 wont run after alternator change

Asked by Jun 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM about the 2004 Land Rover Discovery S

Hi, I have a Disco 3 2008. I was travelling in Mozambique and the alternator went bad and
drained the battery. I had to get the vehicle towed back to SA. The garage changed the
alternator but the car won't run since! He says the on-board computer needs
reprogramming. It was running fine on a fully charged battery it just drained fast so we
could not take the risk of driving it out. Anyone have an idea please?

17,650

Did they check after installing the new alternator to see if it was putting out 14 volt ? If not charging it either a bad alternator or a alternator fuse. Most vehicles have a fuse that blows when the alternator goes bad. Fuse also has to be replaced before alternator can charge correctly. Fuse is usually in fuse box under hood.

Hi Firebird, Thanks for the response. The disco is still at the garage! The mechanic seems to think that when they moved the car after leaving at their depot over the weekend they jump started to put onto the flatbed trailer and may have crossed the leads or fried an ECU! The car starts, runs for 2 minutes or so and then stops! You can turn it off and restart and it does the same thing again! Seems like an ECU that controls the fuel pump might have blown!