i have a disco 2 1999 engine switched off red light on

Asked by Dec 20, 2014 at 03:45 AM about the 1999 Land Rover Discovery 4 Dr Series II AWD SUV

i was driving and it just cut out and will not start the water level was good and not to hot i
have checked the wiring to the sensor and have checked the sensor all seem to be good
when i turn on the key the temp gauge gose to the top and then drops to the bottom and
the red light stays on is there any other reason for the red light to be on

Tamisha Cowan

Maybe your thermostat is getting stuck. These trucks are designed to make preventative measures when something drastic like an over heating engine occurs due to a worn thermostat that may prevent the coolant to maintain the required temperature the truck will sometimes sound a warning signal before the system automatically shuts down. Be very careful to not over heat youp truck because severe damage can occur. Next year i am going to replace as many gaskets on the engine that i can before my engine goes. I have a 4 inch gasket leak on the driver side intake manifold between 5 and 7 companion cylinders. Anyways check to make sure your fan is working properly. Check fuses and make sure the fan doesn't have any play when you move it back and forth toward the radiator and the engine.

Tamisha Cowan

Make sure the fan is clean from any debris because debris will cause the fan to wobble and eventually shred to pieces and destroy other parts under the hood as well. Sharing that story because i recently experienced the fan issue twice this year this last third time i fixed it myself along with the radiator and the power steering resivoir, sensor wires, including anything else in the blades way which ended up denting the hood pretty bad.

Hi thanx I have check all off that.it did give no warning it was as if I switched of the key what I have seen is that the engine waring light is not coming on to sa that there is a fault I have checked all the earth's and powers have checked temps sensors they good have checked wires to them have checked do u know what faults will stop the engine from starting and not give code