heater is not working - going through antifreeze quickly. 1998 Discovery 50th anniversary edition

Asked by Jan 16, 2014 at 09:41 PM about the 1998 Land Rover Discovery 4 Dr 50th Anniversary AWD SUV

the heater stopped working.  Also, I need to keep adding antifreeze but yet it does not
appear to be leaking.  Also, starting today, I noticed that there is white smoke coming
from the exhaust.  Is this something that I can repair myself?

113,125

White smoke from exhaust pipe and loss of anti freeze are signs of a blown head gasket.

113,125

You will need to be fairly familiar with working on motors to attempt this repair. Probably be best to have a mech do it if you are not comfortable working on motors or experienced in doing so.

20,085

You will have to replace the head gaskets or possibly heads. This is a major job and expensive. On these you need to find another engine because when the head gaskets are replaced they will start knocking and then you will still need an engine. I am speaking from experience and advice from land rover techs.

20,085

If it were me it would be time to get a new car. That's just me though.

20,085

At least $3000 to put head gaskets on and no guarantee it won't be knocking in a week.

165

I have heard rave reviews about a head gasket repair that will save tons of money.. It's called Thermalweld.. Google them and check it out..