96 Land Rover Disco power and idle issues

Asked by May 24, 2013 at 09:34 AM about the 1996 Land Rover Discovery 4 Dr SD AWD SUV

I'm having power issues vehicle acts as if theres a short, one minute it has power then the next minute nothing then without doing anything the power is restored and this is while vehicle is just sitting there. My other issue is once I have power and can start the car the RPMs race to 3000 and take forever to idle down and once I'm driving the problem persists any suggestions?

4,825

Your electrical fault may need some more info to fix: exactly what is happening under which circumstances and what actions do you take the moment it happens. Idle is controlled by two main parts: the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If the TPS is messed up, the ECU will go into limp mode and speed up the engine idle to keep it driveable to a place of repair. If the IACV doesn't close the idle air bypass on the throttle body, the engine will idle faster than normal due to lack of control of the air flow into the engine. Alternatively the throttle cable may be sticking, which is a lot easier to diagnose and fix.