why is my 2003 x type alternator not charging. I repaced the battery saver relay,replaced the alternator an belts

40

Asked by Jul 29, 2014 at 07:15 PM about the 2003 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

160

Recently had an X-type in with the same issue. Did you check at the alternator? On this customers car another shop had replaced the alternator but the issue was the connector between the alt and batt had broken. Check for at least 13.2 volts at the output terminal of the alternator. I am assuming you have had the battery tested.

40

there is no difference between the battery voltage 12.3 bolts on the positive terminal and the voltage at the alternator itself when the cars running. So I assume that all the wiring is good and yes the battery is good

254,605

Voltage on the battery with the engine running should be around 14V if the alternator is worrking properly.

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

this is why I change the alternator. But I still have no output voltage. Is ther a control circuit or something that im missing?

254,605

Not sure, did you recheck the alternator, you didn't mention it? Is it a new one or a rebuilt? Some rebuilts are bad out of the box.

160

As far as a control circuit, the regulator is built into the alternator on your jag. It is a standard Denso regulator. If you pull the connector (on the back, 2pin I think) with the engine running you should have power to one of them. I have never had to check for signal (+voltage) so I don't know which pin to lead you to. I'll second what Tom says, many rebuilds are bad out of the box so you may want to take your alternator to be tested.

40

thanks guys I'll check it now just to clarify it's a brand new alternator end I just went over all the grounds and connections positive and negative its still not charging ice or ground on the orange wire could have broken going into the 4 pin connector in the alternator so I wanted to verify continuity but I've never unplugged it and check it during well its running so I'll try to do that that's easier said than done as you may know

40

okay guys I checked and I have no power coming in on either of the four pence I have a ground on the orange and that's pretty much it any idea where that I was coming from my supposed to be coming from I check the reverse light fuse which I heard is a source of power but its good my reverse lights work

40

160

I don't have an X-type in the shop right now. When I get one in I'll pin out the connector for you. I am assuming also that you have double checked fuse 82 and it is good.

40

yes I have. Thank you very much.