Check engine and ABS light

Asked by Apr 16, 2016 at 11:31 PM about the 2003 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L
My ABS and check engine light keep
coming on. At first, it was usually after it
had rained or snowed. But now I've
noticed it's quite often even in dry weather.
They don't both always come on at the
same time. Sometimes it'll be one or the
I'm just a 23 year old girl who knows
nothing about cars and inherited this car
after my father passed. Someone help me

you are going to have to get those codes scanned to see what the computer has stored. autozone and some other auto parts stores will scan the computer for free. make sure you write down what the codes are and post back here, maybe we can help. If you cant work on the vehicle yourself, you will have to find a mechanic you feel comfortable with. they can scan the code and figure it out too.

What you do first is go to like Auto Zone and have the code or codes read from the computer. Write these code numbers down as they will tell what is going on, and what to look at to fix. You can post the code numbers back here for further assistance.

Bob Beaman

If I were you I would plan to get rid of the Jaguar. They can be VERY expensive to repair and maintain, especially and older car. Do as "Rowefast" suggested and get the trouble codes scanned at a local autoparts store and post them here. I would NOT purchase any parts for this car based on the recommendations of the parts store salesperson.

The ABS light isn't on currently when I had the code reader hooked up. Just the check engine light. The code that came up is P1111. I apologize for taking so long to post back here. I have also had the code P1000 come up as well.

P1000 JAGUAR - On Board Diagnostic System Readiness Test Not Complete... Possible causes - The vehicle is new from the factory. - Battery or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) had recently been disconnected. - An OBD monitor failure occurred before completion of an OBD drive cycle. - PCM Detected Trouble Codes (DTC) have recently been cleared with a scan tool... This code just means that the PCM didn't complete a full diagnose cycle, and is set when the battery have been disconnected, codes have been cleared or sometimes even when the vehicle have been towed. No scanner it's necessary to clear the code, driving the vehicle for a few minutes (sometimes more) to complete the diagnose cycle will clear the code. Clearing the code will reset the light unless other codes present.. If DTC P1000 is triggered after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles have not been cleared. Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)... P1000 Jaguar Description..... The On Board Diagnostic (OBD) monitors are performed during the OBD Drive Cycle. P1000 is stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD monitors do not carry out their full diagnostic check.. P1111 JAGUAR - CAT System Fault.... Usually the P1111 code means that all systems are OK and that the diagnostic cycle is complete. For some Jaguar models models P1111 = OnBoard Systems Tests Completed..... Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P1111 Jaguar Description./. Computer Assisted Technology (CAT) Suspension System Fault.

So what I gather is that nothing is wrong? Will it pass inspection even if the lights are still on?

Investigating a bit further, some car manufacturers have codes that come up specific relating to that brand of car. In your case Jaguar. What I found what P1111 relates to is "Inlet Air Temperature Sensor" fault voltage high, not the Computer Assisted Technology Suspension System. I would say to replace this sensor and have the codes cleared, then drive the vehicle threw a full tank of gas so the system has a chance to do its diagnostics. If the check engine light comes on during this time, wait until there is 1/4 tank of fuel to see if the light would be still on. If it is then at this time have the code read again to address the problem. But never the less, sounds like a minor problem. I know that emissions test results can be interpreted differently between the different people who give them. You are allowed some lee-way depending on what the results are. Always best to try and take care of the problem.

Best Answer

Rowefast I thank you so much! I will try to get in the issue this week.