2003 JAGUAR IN LIMP MODE AFTER FREEWAY 80 MPH

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 02:38 AM about the 2003 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

Hi, My 2003 JAGUAR XTYPE 2.5 V6 AUTOMATIC, went into limp mode while i was
going 80 mph on the freeway.  The engine light came on and the limp mode light. My
mechanic said its in need of a new transmission, Im hoping for something else.  The
car will go about 5 seconds and drive with just the engine light on and then the limp
mode light will go on and car wont really accelerate. Whats weird to me is before this
happened, i would be sitting in the car and listeningto music with the switch on right
before you turn the car on and if i started it from that point it would go into limp mode,
but i would just put it back in park and turn it off.  Then it would be fine once I restarted
it. Help! I really cant afford a new car or transmission. Im carless and hopeless right
now.

1,755

There are 3 solution to your problem: 1 : your TCM (transmission control module) got wet , it is located under the dash driver side US, detach it from the harness and dry and clean with electric clear spray, then waterproof the connecter harness and tcm .Youtube has a video on it. 2. The Relay has be replaced , check owners manual , it is same as horn relay . 3. Tranmission fluid needs changing , recommended to do it even if it is solved from the other solution. Goodluck hope this helps

Thanks for responding. So its possible its not the transmission? Or is that even a possibility, given the description I've given?

Do I have to do all three or just check one by one then see what happens?

10

My engine light and gearbox fault light was on in my 04 x type 3.0. I changed the trans fluid, reardifferential fluid and sealed my tcm and knock on wood, everything went back to normal. I reset all OBD codes and running great now

10

Electrical power in the system maybe too high or too low to operate the transmission module. Check alternator voltage. Replace alternator if voltage goes more than 16 or so volts dc. My 04 xtype did the same thing.

10

the only way to know for sure is do a computer diagnostic on the transmission there is a seal for the wiring harness to tcm if the starts leaking it will short the tcm out and if left to long does perminent damage to tcm and transmission causes big money to fix tcm is expensive if tranny is bad try a used with warrenty of rebuilt

60

as many have said - many reasons for the issue, which includes... 1. bad battery 2. bad throttle body sensor 3. water in sensor area for throttle body 4. bad battery connections - corrosion around battery terminal 5. wire harness loose to throttle body or battery 6. dirty throttle body 7. water in sensor area to parking brake sensor in back spare tire area in trunk (for jags)

110

I have a Jaguar 2003 X Type and almost all warning lights are on: check engine light, dsc system fault, cruise control not available, gear box fault, car goes into limp mode and the engine temp.arrow shoots up (sometimes). What could it be? Anybody?

I have worked as a machanic for a stock car racing team and to stop a modern car going into limp home mode . We take out the temperature sender for the ecu and put it where it wouldn't get to hot , but just enough heat to set the idle valve sensor to tick the engine over properly . Then put a bolt in the old sensor hole . Worked for us and never had a problem .

52,715

If your CEL is on you have trouble codes that need to be read in order to know what is wrong. Anything else is just speculation.

10

I had the same problem and fixed it. Alternator output voltage too high(26 vdc, mine) or to low, it shutdown the computer then the engine. Check the output voltage of alternator make sure is in the 15vdc to 13 volt dc.