Check transmission light

45

Asked by Sep 25, 2007 at 01:12 AM about the 2003 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

Hi,

The check transmission light on my 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 lights up intermitently. This happened three times in the last two months. It happens after I put the car into gear. When this happens, the car shakes.

I would then turn off the ignition and wait for a few minutes, restart it and the problem goes away. What could this be?

Thanks.

2,765

How many miles are on it? Jags are known to have bad ignition coils. They may not set check engine lights, but maybe it senses the transmission acting up.

45

Thanks for your response Joe. The car has 24,000 miles on it.

5,025

Is the car warm or cold when this happens? Did you check the fluid level (dipstick under the hood sometimes orange)?

1,185

i would get it looked at , i dont know much about that car but the only thing i could see doing this is a converter lookout in your tranny but that most often makes the car stall out

45

Thanks for your responses. I always warm up the car for at least 10 minutes before I drive it. During the three times this has happened, twice have been around 45-50 degrees outside and the third time, it was around 65 degrees. I have had it checked out and the mechanic said everything was normal. The car cannot be driven when the lights comes on because the car shakes and when I shut it down for a few minutes, everything is normal. The worse part of this is that it is intermittent.

dose anyone think it has a bad tourk converter

1,335

Is this vehicle equipped with a programable transmission? Jaguar and LandRover,have shared technologies.I have first/hand knowledge of a software update , which I watched in amazement while they programed the new update.

ignition switch problem . next time it happens instead of turning it off try wiggling the key back and forth without shutting off the engine if the problem goes away . its the ignition switch.