climate control system

Asked by Dec 01, 2008 at 09:30 PM about the 2003 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0

Have a 2003 jaguar s type.  Had my mechanic check the system when at 70 degrees temperature was blowing cold air.  Would set temperature to 78 degrees and it would blow hot for a short time then cold again.  Mechanic said it was temp sensor in car that he changed.  Still problems in my opinion.  When starting the car in the morning with temperature set at 72 blows hot for a short time then cold. Bump up heat to 74 same situation, at 76 it blows hot for a longer time but still turns cold then back to hot?  Any ideas?

130

My 2003 S type 3.0 does the exact same thing for last 2 months. It seems like a sensor has died or maybe a filter for the hot water is blocked (used to happen on 2000 series). Also trying to figure out how to fix for reasonable price. It does not show any std error code. I believe this is not uncommon for this car.

Best Answer
130

I now have the temp control working somewhere close to normal. On the dash near the ignition key is a small cover, behind the cover is a sensor with a passageway behind it. I saw that the sensor was covered in dust and crud from the air passing over it. I used a spray bottle of cleaning fluid and mt shop vac with a small diameter adaptor. First spray the vacumm, spray and vacuum until the dirt and crud is gone. Wait a couple of hours until area has had time to dry completely before turning ignition on. After this treatment and a couple of days of normal use I found the temp control was starting to ioperate near normal. Some fluctuation still but much less and it may have had that much variation from the factory - just was not watching for it. Will repeat the treatment as soon as we have warm dry weather.

130

This fix worked for a few weeks the back to "normal". HI gives hot, LO gives cold so both heat and A/C finction OK. Saw a post where Jag replaced the control module ($1,400) and problem came back after 40 miles. This just has to be a sensor problem (or wiring to a sensor). I see the similar thing on several forums and no-one has the answer so a lot of S-types with this problem and no fix.

30

Hi. I have a very similar issue. Where is this sensor again? I cannot see a little cover next to the ignition. Is yours LHD or RHD? If I set mine to LO it blow cold and hot at the same time???? lowering the temp from 23c just makes it blow hot air faster. Is that like yours was? Thanks.

40

My 2000 S type blew cold on cold morning at *% setting and it was a stuck heater divertor valve - -2 visits to dealer to figure out,I haven't replaced the valve until it sticks again because of cost

355

in most cases this can be caused by a water valve that sticks/or leaks causing air temps to be different. Even better in some cases the heater valve can take out the a/c module or vise versa.

170

I had the same problem with my 2004 S Type, the dealer quoted me a $2000 fix, stating that the control in the dash was bad and that this was a common problem in the S. The mechanic advised me that if I did not want to spend the money that he could install a valve that would shut the hot water coming from the radiator to the cooling unit, he advised that my automatic temp control would not function properly, but, that my a/c would blow cold in the summer, he said when the cold months arrive I would just need to open the valve and would have heat in the winter. This cost $6 and has worked fine over the past 4 years.

1147412175 this a part number for the - AC & Heater Control Valve that you probably need. use a pair of needle nose wise grips and pintch one of the hoses. remeber what side or sides were warm. once you block off the hose turn on the car and see what vents turn cool. that will ttell you for sure if you need an - AC & Heater Control Valve