1990 Suburban won't start

15

Asked by Mar 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Suburban V2500 4WD

Please help.  I changed the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. Afterwards, when i turn the key in the ignition, it cranks very slow for a moment, then clicks. i checked the battery and that is fine. Could my problem fuel related? Any suggestions?

if you sure the battery is ok ,starter may be bad,dont sound like a fuel problem.also have the alt checked.

15

The alternator is new. I will check the starter. After changing the fuel pressure regulator, is there something i need to do to get the fuel pumping again? I appreciate your help.

855

It still sounds like battery. You either have a loose battery cable, starter power lead or your battery is failing under a load. You should have had the battery disconnected before working on the fuel system. If you did I would check there first, also check for white or green powder substance on terminals and cables (indicating corrosion). If present clean them with a wire brush and battery cleaning solution or a bottle of coke in a pinch. If the battery has not been load tested (can be done for free at most auto parts stores) have it tested. Do not rely only on a volt meeter for testing this is a common mistake voltage does not alone indicate a good battery. You need to verify correct cranking amps under a load.

yes,you need to bleed the air out of fuel system,on fuel their is a tire like valve stem on it,turn key switch on to get fuel pump running to build up pressure,push down on valve stem caution dont have your face over it while doing this,(fuel spray)you will know when air is out will spray gas only.

665

i agree with jeremy if shes turnin over hard or not at all its not a fuel problem, do what he said and if the battery and all the terminals check out to be fine try banging on the starter while someone turns it over, also you can jump the terminals on the salinoid but im guessing its a batt problem because usualy if it were the starter or a bad connection it wouldnt turn over at all...