my 1990 chevy suburban transmission wont kick out of 1st gear.

75

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 09:40 AM about the 1990 Chevrolet Suburban R1500

this morning i jumped on the freeway and when i tried to get it up to 4th gear,it lost speed,then made a
loud revving noise,is it my transmission?

There's a git-up called a vacuum modulator, a vacuum hose and possibly electrical connection on the side of the tranny, be sure they are still there and not comprimized...of course you put the level between the two hash marks while in park, the oil was red and didn't smell burnt, and you've recently had transmission service?

75

i havent had any problems with it,so i have not had any trans work done,but all of a sudden this morning when i was getting on the freeway,i was up to 40 mpr and it just lost speed and wouldnt go,and when i gave it gas it made a loud revving noise,i checked the vacuum hose,and it is still connected,nothing smelled burnt,could it be a seal? or do i need a trans?

Is there any fluid leaking on the ground? Do you know how to check the fluid level? I will explain how if you want me to do so rachel

75

no fluid leaking,yes i do know how to check the fluids,my father was a mechanic,and taught me how to do a lot for myself in the category of mechanics,i do most of my own vehicle repair,im just stumped on this one i have not had any major issues with my baby until now.

Toughie.....Turbo 350? you are in good hands, easy relitively inexpensive tranny, and plenty guaranteed rebuilds too-

Remanufactured: A properly rebuilt automotive part. The item has been completely disassembled, cleaned, and examined for wear and breakage. Worn out, missing or non-functioning components have been replaced with new or rebuilt components. It is the functional equivalent of a new part and is virtually indistinguishable from a new part. See the seller’s listing for full details. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab ... Read moreabout the condition

Best Answer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chevrolet-350-turbo-transmission-/181106457100?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2ac93a0c&vxp=mtr

I didn't intend to insult you rachel, lots of folks don't know how. (I do not say that b/c you are a woman ok?) and yes, it is your transmission but that does not mean you need a new/rebuilt one, it could be something minor. from what you describe, it revvs up but no go. Just like the Judge said, there are solenoids, all sorts of things, but a 1990 and you have never had any transmission work done, well then again it may be toast. Even competent mechanics often don't know how to rebuild an automatic, they swap them out. Looks like you need a pro.

Aamco ad: "Half the people that come to Aamco do not need a new transmission"...why don't they say 'half the people that come in here we stick it to them for a new transmission"

75

i didnt think you was insulting me,david,i was just wanting you to know where i am inclined is all,i thank you for all the helpful insight truly,i have a certified mechanic coming to look at it now,i was just hoping it was something i could attend to myself,instead of giving my hard earned money to someone else,i want to thank you again for your help,and yours as well judge.

My pleasure, good luck

there are things that we must do in life.

31,065

700R4 not a THM350 they phased out the THM models in the mid/late 80s. My 86 has a stock 700R4.