I have a 1994 Loyale and the check engine light flickers when it is running and when I go between 45 and 55 mph the motor starts to sputter. Exhaust smells rich. What things should I be looking at.

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 11:05 PM about the 1994 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

go and get your diagnostics read from manny moe or jack...any autoparts store...or you could buy your own....If I was to take a wild burro guess would say the 02 sensor is on vacation in the bahamas and not reporting for duty~

Best Answer

light flickers=misfire....thinkin' coil packs....does it run otherwise okay?...starts to sputter...does it stop sputtering...or not until it cools down and powers up fresh? an ambient air temp sensor might be at fault, your trouble codes should tell us~

think about it...needs to be rich when cold....then when it warms up gets all chokey....this will happen to your weed-wacker if you don't take off the choke once it gets runnin'....this sensor is like that...tells the ECU that it's warm enough outside to NOT enrich the mixture...'course a cold start wants all the assistance it can get~