1997 Subaru Legacy L having problem with acceleration on take off

15

Asked by Jun 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the 1997 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

Having trouble from a stop getting acceleration. Hard to get up to 20mph.  It is as if too much gas and not enough oxygen.  Then the rpms go up and it kicks in and runs fine.  Idles and start fine.  I have replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs.  Getting a troubleshooting code 102.  Have not been able to locate vacuum leak.  Please help - I am a poor female and not a mechanic.

95

That code is for the Mass Airflow Sensor MAF, it could be that this sensor is dirty, bad or the wiring has an issue. It is common for the connector to come loose and the terminals to corrode, I would check there first. It should be a little black box near the air filter housing. You can get MAF cleaner spray at any local auto parts store and all you have to do with that is spray the part of the sensor that is in the air intake tube.

15

Thank you soooo much for your answer. You were definitely right - it was the MAF sensor, no vacuum leak. Since the part is so expensive I tried CRC spray for cleaning the sensor as it was on $8.50/can.. Made a huge difference. I did need to replace the MAF sensor, but the spray kept me going until the part could come in. Replaced it and the car is running like a champ! I highly recommend this spray to use every time you change the air filter.

95

No problem, glad I could help. Sounds like your luck is the same as mine, it's always the expensive solution to the problem. Granted that what you get when you own a subaru and toyota, parts are expensive.

i was clean but after that i have problem until now and i have big problem whit full is so hi .