The dashboard "brake" light came on despite the handbreak not being on, on my 1988 g20 chevy sportvan. Is it a symptom of something? Low brake fluid maybe? Or something worse? Or just a faulty light?

Asked by Oct 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Sportvan 3 Dr G20 Passenger Van Extended

32,395

First check the brake fluid level. If it's good then take some sort of lubricant in a spray can and look around where the the E-brake light light switch connects to the E-brake pedal. Spray the switch, move the mechanism, and spray again. With any luck its just stuck. But check the brake fluid level first.

285

It could be Low brake fluid. Or possibly being you need new brake pads, It being a 1988 it probably does not have the sensor saying you need new pads.

It was the fluid.. added some, pumped the brake and the light shut off.. thanks everyone! !