Ignition Switch or Starter Problem?

10

Asked by Jun 01, 2016 at 04:58 AM about the 2006 Scion xA Base

I have a 2006 scion XA recently hit 75k ODO.  In (P) Park Starter solenoid
would engage on occasion, causing vehicle to stall.  When attempting to
restart, placing key in position 2 ACC starter attempts on its own.  If off then
turn ignition to run vehicle starts up, but solenoid sounds like is still engaged,
when placing vehicle in (R) or (D) solenoid is disengaged, then if placed park,
starter solenoid engages once again.  Could I have a starter issue, or a starter
issue.  Maybe both?

10,645

I suggest you check the STARTER MOTOR before going through the ignition circuit. Check the connection at the S motor for any frayed wires inspect the smaller gauge solenoid wiring.

10

I checked around starter motor, seemed to work fine after checking wires that led to starter. I cleaned battery terminal, and wire brushed for good connectivity, and also pulled the starter relay which I think may have all done the trick. Vehicle no longer starts on it's own in "On' mode, yet vehicle stalls after putting into gear then into park? Any thoughts?

10,645

It may be unrelated have it scanned for codes most discount auto stores do this for no fee. A good basic starting point before considering a gear selector switch, and or other "electrical" problems.

10

Brought vehicle to a few discount auto parts stores they do not diagnose vehicles anymore in California. Something passed 2 years ago. Firestone was going to charge me $99 for 24 hr. Diagnoses. I just took vehicle to a family friend who will help repair if possible. Vehicle was dying out when in park , or drive recently, and check engine light finally showed up. Currently at my friends shop; he never seen anything like it. Putting car in park either car running or just on "ON" position engages the starter, then putting into drive motor turns off, with all lights on.

10

Code came back: P0113

10,645

P0113 2006 Toyota / Scion The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is built into mass air flow sensor or in some vehicles mounted to the air filter duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise. The Intake Air Temperature signal is used as an input for various systems in the vehicle. CLEAN THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR TOO. Regards

10

Car ended up being fixed due to a faulty neutral control switch. Alternator, battery, starter, and ignition switch are good. Thanks all for the feedback.

10

Car now runs fine, yet stalls when only placed in park. Anyone have any clue?