Car was missing intermittenly...

90

Asked by Jun 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM about the 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T

Changed spark plugs and cleaned throttle, the car ran great for 2 miles on test drive, stopped at light and the car killed, will not stay started, changed oxygen sensor, and maf, now will not crank over (?)

16,155

Whaat aa saad taale , maaybe saay why you chaanged aall thaat aand thaan we caan staart a diaalog (alwaays liked thaat word sAAb)

90

Changed the spark plugs to correct the bucking problem, then when the car killed, it was suggested to change the oxygen sensor, then when that didn't work, suggested to change the MAF sensor which instructions said to disconnect neg battery term, now the car will not crank over.

63,365

Check your fuel pressure,bad fuel pumps,act bizzare,they work then they don,t.

16,155

1/ you said you disconnected the battery- you did ; thereafter , reconnect it? 2/ did you have a dash warning light at the start of all this? 3/ have you had a scan for codes? 4/ I AM NOT familiar with Saab per se ; but,.. if it is like a lot of (shall we say-odd cars) that are out there; what are the peculiarities of your car ..eg:..got a 97 cylinder engine that runs on coconut oil or positve ground?

90

Had auto shop scan for codes, he said it could be several different things cause the miss, suggested starting with changing the plugs... i'm thinking it could be the fuel pump. However, now that it is not cranking over, could that be related to the battery, what about fuses?

63,365

There are relay,s,but they will not come and go,i would lean toward fuel pump.

63,365

Do you mean it will not turn engine over,as in click click?

63,365

There is one more thing that i found about your car,bad egr valve will make your car run like this also.

90

It will click click but not engage starter.

63,365

Something is eating power from your battery,if it,wasn,t before you changed your starter,take another look there,if it,s a bad starter it will eat your battery.

90

The battery is fine, have never changed the starter, I'm thinking the computer has to be reset after disconnecting the neg. terminal (?)

16,155

Here's my only advice : You own a Saab , so seek out Baab , he will know about your Saab and it's turbo. You might have a daab of goo on a naab - so let's hope Baab really knows his jaab and won't make you saab as he raabs you.

16,155

@ TST.... check your garage in box

175

My Saab 9-5 would crank over but not start or even kick. It turned out to be the Crank sensor. Changed that and it's been perfect for years.

Best Answer
90

Thanks Adrian, I have ordered a Crank sensor and a new DI (as my hubby saw a small crack in it), so hopefully changing out both will resolve the issue. I will post when it is fixed - HOPEFULLY!

90

Okay, changed the 'Crank Sensor' along with new plugs and DI cassette, my car is running great! BUT, it is idling too high when in 'PARK', getting a P1230 code (?)

175

From Saabscene.com: If you haven't already done so, it may be worth cleaning the throttle body. Sometimes deposits that build up prevent the butterfly from moving smoothly, which gives rise to the error code. If it happens again after cleaning then a new throttle body is the most practical answer. However there is a note in the workshop manual about a software upgrade that improves diagnosis (presumably makes it less sensitive to minor variations). A main dealer or Indy should be able to check this for you. There's no cleverness or programming involved.

90

The throttle body was cleaned when the spark plugs and DI was replaced (maybe not good enough?) the car was running fine, but killed and went into 'limp mode', last codes were 1260 & 1251, maybe hubby should try cleaning the throttle again? He thinks it is related to ECM, any suggestions on what to look for? P.S. Just bought a 2007 93 Saturday - LOL!

45

I think it might be a possibility that it could be the DI Cassette. I've had a similar issue with my '99 Saab 9-5 and ordered the Tune Up Kit from eEuroParts.com with platinum NGK spark plugs. Problem solved for me. Hope it helps.

Must have fully charged battery. CRANK SHAFT Positioning Sensor. Just had similar problems with 2008 Saab 9-5