What causes intermittent sputtering/choking at any speed/terrain and occasionally blows my radiator hose connector and clamp right off?

Asked by Feb 23, 2014 at 01:49 AM about the 1990 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport

I have owned my 1990 Eurosport wagon (3.1) for nearly 20 years and it only has 135,000 miles on it.  I have saved it for my 3 teens who are now getting their drivers licenses and I have 2 different reliable mechanics I have been going to for over 40 years and they are both completely stumped...we have tried like detectives and replaced everything that would be a likely contributor to this problem, including radiator, thermostat, sensor, etc.
I just spent $1,000 and it started sputtering agian on the way home and a week later blew off the radiator hose again!  Mechanics are convinced it is not the head gaskets.
Any experience with this problem and solutions?
Rich

113,265

I would suspect head gasket issue. But first have you tried replacing your radiator cap? Might not be releasing at the proper psi causing to much pressure to build up in cooling system.