93 Olds 98 Starting problems.

5

Asked by Jan 16, 2012 at 09:52 AM about the 1993 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 Dr Regency Elite Sedan

I have problems starting mostly in the morning (cold , but not too cold).  It also happens intermittantly.  Some days it is fine, others it won't crank.  On the days it won't crank, if I just leave it alone and come back in an hour or so, it will start up more times than not.  A lot of people point to the fuel pump, I had the FP replaced about 1 1/2 years ago (could be bad again?).  I also read that the Ignition control module could cause some of the problems I am having.  I took off the ICM and had it checked at the parts store.  Was tested 5 or 6 times and didn't fail at all.  Also notice when it cranks, the idle may be very high or may be very low (not consistant).  Also while it is running it will sometimes hesitate when I try to get on it a little bit.  If I back off and accelerate slowly, it works fine.  Don't know if any of these problems are related.  Just need help.  Car is too old to take it to the mechanic and pay hundreds of dollars to have it checked out.  93 with 236000 miles.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

50

I have this same exact problem have you figured out what the problem was?

695

ok well wat it sounds like is u have more then 1 problem first off starting issue deffinatly sounds like a starter problem if u know where it is under the hood next time it wont start hit the side of the starter with a wrench or something, very simple to replace three bolts she will drop right out you can then have it rebiult or replaced should solve your problem ass for the other issues it sounds to me like some bad o2 sensors or egr valve possable a fuel filter even fuel relay,, air filter spark plugs should be nice nd clean aswell

150

let me guess your security light has been on.....its your ignition switch going bad and not reading the key correctly and so it prevents starting....

50

my car will not start