Olds Regency 98 (1991) Odometer clicks every tenth of a mile, drives me craze

Asked by Sep 02, 2014 at 05:32 PM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 Dr Regency Elite Sedan

I found the connector for the speedometer an odometer on the trans. disconnected it
and drove it verifying no speed and no clicking. Removed the instrument panel from the
dash. Appears there is a wire that changes the D, R, N etc on the instrument panel that
is a wire (not electrical) but tension wire. i can't get the instrument panel out because I
see no place to release it. So how so I remove this one darn cable so I can repair or
replace the instrument panel?

I removed the instrument panel checking for borken teeth on plastic gears- didn't find any. Put it back together and no more clicking.