my 1995 olds 88 royal will start right up and idle normaly but when i put it in reverse to drive away it goes dead. this offten happens in wet weather

Asked by Apr 07, 2014 at 07:25 PM about the 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr LS Sedan

this happens when i rive a little ways and turn the car off for just a short while and return to go. from reading posts on different sights i have thought it might be idle air control valve sticking or the safety switch or maybe the fuel filter. this happens mostly in wet weather. have changed plugs and wires. car runs fine once it gets going. have been on 200 mile trips with no problem

415

Maybe something electrical is getting wet enough that when you put it in reverse it hits, say a wet reverse switch and shorts out, then the computer automatically shuts it all down? Hard to say.... Maybe try to get a hold of a manual to find a switch in the shifter and try to water proof it some how? bit of a tricky one. The switch should be in the center console, You might have to take apart the plastic covering around the shifter to get at it, but that's were they usually are.