just drove the car home a few days ago, with no trouble at all, but now it wont start...

Asked by Jul 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM about the 1991 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr Brougham Sedan

I just purchased a 1991 Olds 88 earlier this week, and drove it home the
day i bought it with no trouble. But I came out the next day and tried to
start it, and then engine would turn and turn and turn, and there were a
couple times that it did start,and ran for a few seconds, but as soon as I
pushed the gas in, the engine died. Like I said, no trouble the day I bought
it, and it seems the fuel pump is working ok cuz itll just run the gas out of
the check valve. Doesn't shoot out of there, but itwas running the day it
wouldn't start. Any ideas?

60

I just bought a '93 Olds 88, similar issues. Is your Security dummy light on? My homework tells me it is the security system (VATS, Passkey I, II, III). When your keys or ignition get old they can fail to send the proper signal to the Security Module. The Security Module thinks someone is trying to steal the vehicle and thus shuts off the injectors and sometimes the starter. It can be an easy, cheap DIY fix. The dealership will charge you a minimum of $75 (just a new key with new resistor pellets) plus labor, up to $1,000 plus to replace ignition, wiring and Security Module. I am going to spend about $45 bucks plus a few hours...I had to buy resistors, a soldering kit and some shrink tubing. If you have everything but the resistors your fix will be much cheaper. Google "GM Security VATS No Start" FMI... Good Luck

30

Chase

30

Security light