oldsmobile royale 88 1990 wont crank

Asked by May 14, 2016 at 05:40 PM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr STD Sedan

When i try and crank the car it makes a noise -
almost like a sick grunt - but wont crank. Will the
ac compressor lock up and cause that?
Also is it even possible its the plugs an wires? My
husband says no because its not trying to crank
just making that noise.

No the Ac compressor can't hold a starter motor back..First check the battery 12.6 volts, next have it load tested for cold cranking amps hr rating.. and make sure ALL terminals and connections are clean not green or corroded, and tight. IF all are OK starter could be the problem have a voltage drop test done on the starter circuit.

It was the ac compressor. My husband and son in law got a shorter belt and bypassed it - the car cranked up and is running just fine. Apperantly the bearings are just that bad in the compressor

The AC compressor on my 1995 Olds 88 absolutely did hold back my starter. The bearing on the pulley failed and locked up, this locked the outer pulley to the compressor housing. The compressor its self did not lock up, just the clutch pulley bearing.