why does my 90 olds regency 88 keep stalling while driving with check engine light comimg on at times

Asked by Nov 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr STD Sedan

was told i needed a new crank shaft sensor took to shop told owner that. he tells me its the cam sensor and more money. he fixes it still having same issue, need to get engine light off to take to inspection please help!

103,865

Go to a auto parts store like Auto Zone or Advance and they will read the codes for free. that will help you determine the problem so it can be fixed...

i tried to get codes read was told car is too old

24,755

t's not too old to get the code scanned, it just uses an older style code scanner. (not the current OBD I or II). You can actually read the codes for free without a scanner following this guide: http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm-2-digit-obd-codes-free.php - by the way, you should look for another mechanic. Sounds like he is just easter egg hunting at your expense.

18,790

Sounds more like the camshaft sensor is going bad.