No dash lights, chime is on without key in ignition(frequency changes when it is in) and no parking lights.-'99 olds 88

10

Asked by Dec 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4 Dr LS Sedan

I noticed a while ago that the dash lights would flicker when they came on but now
they don't at all. Also the chime is constantly on when the door is open and key is out
of the ignition(chime is quick). When I put the key in it slows down. The parking lights
no longer come on when I leave the vehicle. Lights work when the car is on though. I
have checked the fuses for faults but have found none. I am not entirely sure that I
had the right fuses though. if the dusk/dawn sensor was faulty, would that cause the
chime? any help would be appreciated.

10

Hi guys, I realized after I asked the question that I had not checked the park lams fuse. It was the culprit. Working just fine now. Not sure why it blew but ill have to get a couple spare in case it goes again.

24,105

See...you didn't need our help after all, because you are a true Car Guru...Happy Holidays, bro :)

Well mine is doing it I'm no mechanic.. My mechanic recently moved..no lights on dash ....chiming .. Olds 88 1998.......clueless ..checked oil its good checked brake fluid good.. Any answers ? Thanks in advance

Also no fuses blown all lights work

20

Charles, I am having the same problem on my 1998 88. The dash lights will be very dim (too low to make out the instrument readings) at night and cannot be seen in the daytime. That also causes the radio and odometer to not display. I thought it was the daylight sensor but checked it and it was fine. There is something called a light control module under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. I have read that the module may be the problem and am looking for one now. The little information I could find said something about the lights being florescent and that the module was used to control their brightness. Never heard that before and so am still without dash lights. I know my fuses are good. I am hoping that some of the real experts on this site can give us some advice on this, Please.

I took it to dealer the chime is going out ..no biggie ..its what tells you your lights are on and seatbelts off..so I decided not to fix it it's making no noise now ..and still running good diimming is your alternator... Or electrical connections.. I'm guessing