What do you think could cause this ?

Asked by Jul 05, 2014 at 11:25 AM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4 Dr LS Sedan

I've changed everything I've even
thought could be the problem - new
crankshaft senior, fuel preasure
regulator, ignition mogul and still the
problem exist with no check engine
light on. If the car is cold it will start
and run 4 about 20min as soon as the
car warms up it stale it will restart
then stale right away when I push the
gas it sputors a little then stale black
smokes blowing out the exhaust
when the car start 2 run rough and
when it stale a solfurry smell.

104,365

How long since you have checked your air filter, plugs, plug wires and coils? Black smoke is unburnt fuel. Sounds like you might have a coil or two going bad. Find out which one/ones are not firing.

Air filter clean and changed plugs and wires 1yrs never changed coil pack its sounds like the cars running out of gas fuel pump running and car has full tank

104,365

Black smoke typically means unburnt fuel. Your coils could be arcing out once they get hot. Inspect them for carbon tracking.

104,365

When you turn your key to just the on position does the check engine light come on in test mode? If not bulb could be bad. If that the case have the codes read.

check engine light comes on when it feels like it was on yesterday calleda friend with a scanner and when he came this morning light was off no codes came up on scanner its 1 of those problems

59,145

Sounds like it's loading up with fuel. Could be a bad coolant temperature sensor, faulty fuel injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator, or even just a simple tune up. HTH. -Jim