when I drive my car it gets hot and the check engine light comes on and my car stalls out on me

Asked by Mar 29, 2007 at 10:02 AM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4 Dr LS Sedan

Not 100% on the trim

22,560

Hello fix! You could have a number of problems here but the biggest issue you have is that by driving the car to the point of overheating to a stall you very well may have warped your engine head or done some other massive heat-related damage to the engine. You need to have a professional run down this problem before you go any further and make sure they check the integrity of the head before you authorize any other work. Seek help now! Good luck!

45

wow, why would you ever drive you car till it over heated and stalled? Thats what the temp gauge is for. Make sure you serpentine belt is on and that you have coolant.

Last time my check engine light came on, it was my catalytic converter that rotted out, restricting air flow. Never stalled out on me or ran hot however. With a new catalytic converter, car felt and ran much smoother.