gauge problems with my 1990 camaro rs 305 tbi t-tops

Asked by Apr 20, 2009 at 02:03 AM about the 1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

the dash gauges on my camaro seem to be a little messed up. the fuel gauge is all the way to the right showing way past full and will not move.
the tachometer reads eraticly says car idles at 6000 rpms and when i accelerate
it goes down past the red line. some of the bulbs are burned out too i guess. would just replaceing the the whole gauge assembly fix this or do i have more serious problem? any help would be great.

25

. You should at least remove the cluster assembly and check for wire damage and change the bulbs while you re there :D ...is the car running fine ? you could have 2 problems at the same time since the fuel gauge problem could be a stucked/not working float in your tank.

7,395

i had an 87 iroc where the oil pressure guage worked incorrectly and the tach didnt work at all. i did an engine swap and in the process decided it would be best to run a new wiring harness. so i got one from painless (which by the way is quite painful for a first timer haha). but when rewiring the entire car i noticed with the cluster removed that some of those connections in there were loose and some wires were in pretty bad shape. simply remove the cluster and take a good look around. use a voltmeter to check out any possible problems with the wiring. it maybe simply just be some bad wiring on an old car. simple fixes since the cluster is so easy to remove.

i had a '95 gauges acted crazy ..ended up being a short were the ignition plugs in under dash.. it was arching ... the ignition plug is under dash on steering column..kind of strange just has a linkidge from key switch...i bought a new plastic plug-in from dealer..he said happens often on 94-95 models

5

I had the same problem with the tach on my 92 Camaro. Tried the resistor fix but it didnt work. Finally found a tach board at the junkyard that worked for about a year. I found a new replacement tach board. Only had it for about a week but it seemed to fix the problem! Hurray!! http://www.wc-autoparts.com/new-1990-92-chevy-camaro-v8-tachometer-circuit-board/