1990 Blazer just stoped running the other day and is not getting any gas to the fuel injectors.I checked the fuses to see if that was the problem and they where good. I was having trouble with power surges when driving at a steady spead on Freeway. I replaced the EGR valve because I was gettin a engine light for that before it stopped running. Are they related? I tried putting the old EGR valve in after cleaning it and there is no change. I don't know how to determine what else could be wrong. Help.

Asked by Mar 26, 2007 at 06:43 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD

1990 Blazer just stoped running the other day and is not getting any gas to the fuel injectors.I checked the fuses to see if that was the problem and they where good. I was having trouble with power surges when driving at a steady spead on Freeway. I replaced the EGR valve because I was getting a engine light for that before it stopped running. Are they related? I tried putting the old EGR valve in after cleaning it and there is no change. I don't know how to determine what else could be wrong. Help.

14,990

Dear Robert-- Maybe that EGR valve wasn't just dirty. Maybe it was actually broken. Combined with the fact that the EGR light kept coming on I would still direct my investigation there. Beyond that it could be any number of things, like the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter, mass air flow sensor, etc. Let me know how you do. Good luck from Bovan.

355

Robert, One of the first things that you should do is check to see if the fuel pump is running. You can do this by opening the gas cap and putting your ear close to it and having someone turn the ignition switch on. If you hear a loud hum then it is presumed to be working. If you don't hear the humming sound it doesn't mean the pump isn't working. It could be that there is built-up pressure of fuel in the line and the inline fuel filter is plugged. Turn off the key, remove the fuel filter that is mounted to the frame along the left rear side of frame. Place a metail container under the fuel line when removing it from filter. Turn on the ignition momentarily to confirm the fuel pump does pump fuel in to container. Install new fuel filter, turn on ignition, wait for fuel to come up to engine (4 or 5 seconds)and then crank engine over. If it starts your fuel line was plugged at the filter. If it doesn't start, your injectors could be plugged and fuel will not atomize properly. Have the vehicle towed in to sevice garage and have the entire fuel system tested and the injectors ultrasonically cleaned. You should use a fuel system cleaner like STP or GUMOUT fuel injector and system cleaner that you add to your fuel tank, so you can clean the tank, lines, and injectors as you drive.