XK8 gearbox replace transmission fluid

Asked by Jul 22, 2013 at 04:08 PM about the 1998 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 Convertible

I decided to replace my transmission fluid and came across some good articles on-line
and a YouTube video.  Being cautious, I opened the fill point first and then started the
engine.  the fluid squirted out under pressure.  All the on-line advice and the video said
the fluid would drip or trickle out.  I topped up the fluid and had another go, several
times. On each occasion the fluid squirted out under pressure.  Do you have an
answer?  I want to replace all the fluid and the filter but I am reluctant to do so if I can't
refill the gearbox in accordance with the instructions.  I was doing this alongside a
mechanic who has done it many times on ZF gearboxes but never on one on a Jaguar.

well apparently there are stoppages...find out if you can, what the capacity of this gearbox is...open up all drain plugs top and bottom....with your compressed air tank blast the fill hole and be prepared with a bucket or severed jug to catch the oil...what we want to do is totally evacuate the geartrain as there may be some deposits impeding the flow....a blast of comressed air could chase 'em down to the drain port....80W90 most probably will be the fluid needed, but my experience is from '93 so no doubt there are synthetic gear oils now~ find the capacity....search the database to find the fluid capacity...put the bottom bung in and pump the exact amount needed to be full...used to be you put a finger into the fill hole and if you can touch the fluid...it has enough...may be as simple as that...good luck...don't be afraid of pressurized fluids...they will get that way.~

Thanks, but I think things have changed a bit since '93. The ZF gearbox on an XK8 is sealed for life but, of course, it doesn't last for life and the general wisdom is that you change it a 100,000 miles. My car has done 77,000 but my driveway (out) is very steep and, when the engine is cold, the gearbox sometimes 'slips' which tends to indicate the fluid is a little low. Once it is warmed up, it is fine. I don't think it advisable to take the bottom bung out and empty the oil if I can't refill it.

Yes...I've got a CVT..and can do nothing with it...the mechanic (mike at Berkeley Motor Works) said the wrong $310/qt. green MINI CVT oil was in there and changed it out with 5 qts of the yellow CVT oil at $75-/qt. am not terribly fond of the CVT, but the wife must have the automatic~ thanks for the update...these "permanently sealed" units are NO help~ think of tie-rod ends if you could just give 'em a squirt with the ole grease gun every 2000 miles you wouldn't have to replace the "permanently sealed" ones~....technology on the rise....of disposability~

hey my transmission stuck and second gear, fluid been change, gearbox light still on do I need another transmission

how about when slippage occurs when engine is hot operating temp. probably very low tranny fluid?