2005 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas makes sound when changing gear. Is this normal or indicative of problem?

Asked by Aug 30, 2014 at 12:43 AM about the 2005 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas Sedan

What kind of noise? Rumbling? clanking ? Banging?

Nothing ominous, just a "shhh", then on to next gear. This occud when going from Park to Reverse, Reverse to Drive, Drive to Park...each gear change.

So this shhhh sound is between gear selections. Would you equate it with the sound of air escaping? Perhaps a vacuum leak?

No, it doesn't sound like air escaping. Actually, it sounds quite innocent. But, since I am a novice with Jaguars, I don't know if gear-shifting comes with audio. I have not heard it in the other Jags that I have test driven. However, a friend's BMW would naturally make a similar sound when powering-down. It reminds me of the sound that airplanes make when lowering the landing gear....of course, not as loud. Sounds natural...but is it?

Damned if I've ever heard of that. I've owned a few and sold them professionally. If it's not effecting the way it drives I wouldn't worry to much about it. Did you just get it or did this just start?

have the tranny serviced by a good Jag specialist- what else can you do? don't mess around if you have a concern- or that Jag will turn around and bite you- big time-

Picking it up this afternoon. It will not leave the shop until I am satisfied! Thanks to both, BoholMark and jamnblues!

When you find out what it was post it here. I'm curious about what it was. I wish it was practical to have a Jaguar here but there's no one on this island that can work on them. I've seen a few in Manila but that's a 24 hour boat ride from Bohol. :(

Apologize for delayed response. Mechanics assured normal opetation. Have been driving car for about week. No discernible problems. Wish could record sound for you. More like positive confirmation of gear change.