2005 Jaguar X-type car won't start even when jumped, its an AWD and can't take the car out of park which keeps the back wheels locked. Any advice please!!

170

Asked by Jun 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM about the 2005 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0L

When trying to turn the car over the fan goes on, the accessory lights come on, and the car makes a clicking sound. Can't find the relay switch thinking that's stuck. The tow truck driver couldn't find the switch to disengage the car to go into neutral. Car has 67,000 miles. Not sure if their is an electrical issue. Please help!!

2005 most assuredly the battery is kaput...chose a real good one, Interstate will not let you down and has an aggressive warranty~ ...on a side note Lucas electrics would feature Positive ground +, this of course his straight nonsense but no chance they're still doin' this, is there?

170

ty but why can't the car disengage out of park

170

By the way I forgot to mention that the tow truck driver connected a portable battery jumper to my battery and also tried to jump start from his truck battery to my car battery and it still made a clicking noise and didn't start up? So I had my battery, a portable battery and his truck battery, 3 battery's basically and still not turning the engine over? :( Thank you for you're help in advance.

2,235

it sounds like an imobiliser fault and the electrics are a negative earth on the jag in question

2,235

it could be the gearbox ecu has been fried so hence it wont disengage out of park

170

Is there anyway to bypass the gear engage? I know that most vehicles have a tab that you can push to bypass and engage, but I took the cover off of the shifter and I couldn't find the location of it nor could the tow truck driver. Thanks John :)

2,235

it is as far as I remember strictly powered via the ecu the only way is to pull the unit power up the car to engage the relay for it and try to select neutral via the cables apart from that you are looking at a new gbox ecu which second hand should be between 80 and 100 pounds from a good breakers

1,835

Check all the fuses accosiated with alternator , f92 probably but still check the manual, if the battery is dead I mostly recommend getting dry cell Optima yellow top or red top , which cost almost same as conventional replacent d won't die that easily. Most likely it happened to me that the alternator died out of nowhere, which is a bitch to replace , but getting parts from local junk yard will save alot get used fr 40 than 800 from dealer. Now the issue of selecting N pretty simple take the wood bezel surrounding the gearbox , once off on yr right side there will be a white bypass switch by prying yr finger can disengage the lock. Hope this helps yr problem

Pull the ASD relay and replace~

...just a guess...really need to see the diagnostic report to render a judgement~

20

Mine wiill not start either its just clicking radio n lihts come on! But will not start ran fine this morn

Its the transceiver, or key ring sensor as some call it. jag doesn't make the part anymore but i was able to find one used on jagbits for 75 dollars and it works great. the part number is xr89998. if that is not it, maybe the chip fell out of your key (did you drop it). I have experienced both of these things before, i bet its key related

Tow truck driver probably mess your jag up if they pulled your car with chains and then had to Shake It Off cause they can't put it in neutral then your gearbox or transmission is messed up having that problem with my 02 jaguar x type car was running fine till the tow truck tow my jag and shook my car off the flat bed which they should of used this tool called skates so the car can slide off and on the flatbed with out Messing up the gearbox or transmission

10

The problem is the starter relay which is "non-serviceable" and is located under the engine bay fuse/relay box. The middle of the fuse/relay box is vented and if you look through the small vents closely you can see a circuit board with an additional 4 or 5 relays soldered onto a circuit board. To start the car jack up the front of the car high enough to set the front wheels onto ramps to allow yourself access to the starter. Turn the ignition to the II position....get under the car & jump the battery terminal on the starter with the ignition terminal on the starter ( about 1/2 inch apart) The car will start right up...

More inclined to say the Transmission ECU is fried. Mine is doing this and once in awhile it will start and run fine. I jumped my starter with the key on and it would not start. This is also keeping the solenoid that engages the switch on the shifter to not open. You can open it manually but still will not start. I'm going to replace the tranny ECU as it is known that a leaky windshield will drip on these getting them wet and shorting them out.