What does it mean when the car makes a bang & it says GEARBOX DEFAULT"

Asked by Nov 27, 2015 at 02:07 AM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

What does it mean when I'm coming to a stop or at the stop when the car makes a big bang and the dash lights up in the odometer area saying "GEARBOX DEFAULT".  The car has no throttle and goes in to a "limp mode", where the car goes, but very slowly, "limping" home. Then I can disconnect the battery, connect it back right away and go on my way until  it happens again. This has happened four times. There is nothing wrong with the gearbox which is a 5 speed automatic transmisson -  it works just fine. Does anyone know what is going on?? I bought the car brand new and the car has 49,000 original miles on it.  Please let me know if you have any idea on what's going on. Thank you.

94,525

http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/7mr63-jaguar-typd-gear- box-fault-light-mean.html

20,965

I don't know, but those are famous for weak trannys- take it to the dealer and have it checked- you DO NOT want to be taking any chances-

80

Ill tell you. Ford!!!!! The engine and tranny on a jag are ford. Junk.... Might as well have bought a freakin thunderbird (junk) this is what happens when people buy a name. Jaguars used to be awsome cars. Then the nineties came around and they learned how to duck taxes. They partnered up with ford, and then Jaguar went to shit. $80,000 pieces of junk. Built by an american car manufacturer that builds cars to save money. Not make money. Btw. Just a little trivia. When was the last time jags were considered quality to anyone other than people who want to look like they have money they do not have? Answer: back when they were supercars. (you know..... Before Ford got ahold of them).

20,965

well, I could not afford to own a 21st Century Jag, Rover, or Audi- nor would I want the stress- having said that, these examples must be viewed against the vast backdrop of ALL 21st Century cars- plastic, electric, pieces of kleenex-

Gear Box Default...been there...new to me Transmission...did that. Problem solved. Get a rebuilt transmission from a reputable mechanic for less than the cost of a new one. Must be reputable though. Don't gamble.